Chapter 11: Attack

A/N: This chapter may be triggering for some. It has mildly detailed violence, attempted murder, and goes over the subject of eventual death.

A shower helped me contemplate difficult situations. The pleasurable warm water flowed down my light brown skin. Putting my hands to my chest, my connection to my soul felt the strongest at this time. I never thought about it until now. It's this ghostly tingle at the edges of my body. It couldn't decide whether to break free or join me. Until I get rid of this unwanted magic, I'd be stuck wanting more. My soul gave the message to be brave and wise. Danger was looming in the background with Nick's, Darren's, and Alex's secretiveness. Only the soul was worth listening to, and I'd do anything to have it back. I was nothing without it. That ghostly beauty would become mine.

I sat out on my porch to enjoy a few minutes of dark silence before going to bed. Sometimes, I expected teachers or classmates to check on me, but I seemed to scare them away. Gretchen's sister, Kari, was the only one I cared about who was friendly toward me. I texted good night to dad, but he didn't respond. I guess he was upset about earlier today or something happened. Without worrying about it, I went to bed.

The next morning went on like usual, but without messages from Nick. I called twice, but it went to voicemail. The strings of my soul told me to go.

I saw no sign of Nick or Cecil until I reached their room. A crumbled to the floor and forced myself to not cry. Back to back, they were tied together. Despite the strengths of vampires, they couldn't move or heal their wounds. Dark red mixed with the dark blue of their bed spread. A human would've died from the blood loss, but they were weakened. "Shelly," my dad's soft voice limped. "Sorry, I couldn't reach the phone." He grinned at his attempt to have humor in this situation. "I know this is hard to see after losing Fay, but we're okay. Just hurry and help us."

Seeing them almost dead triggered that memory of seeing my mom dead. I refused to let anymore parents die when their kids weren't ready. I grabbed scissors from the nightstand to cut them free. My father, who's closest to the mini fridge by the bed, took a drink. He shared it with Cecil, who couldn't move much from her injured body. The blood drink helped them heal, but it's much slower than typical. "Who did this to you?" I asked when they finished drinking.

"Alex," my father began. "He was trying to kill us by depriving us of soul essence. He used this powder that inhibited our abilities. Each hour he would come, and hurt us to make us need it more."

I cooled my face with my hands. What a horrible way to die. How long had this lasted? "Why is he doing this?" At that moment, someone entered the house, and it could only be Alex. I ran downstairs and ignored my dad telling me to stop. I didn't care how dangerous he was. Anyone who would hurt my family must be eliminated.

He shifted into his wolf form when he saw me and charged. We bit each other's necks. The rejuvenating blood made me strong enough to keep going as he bit into me. I kept healing until too much of my body was in his mouth. Somehow, I kept sucking up his blood, hoping I'd take enough to make him faint. I didn't know if it's because I was dying, but all I thought was that fairytale and wearing a red hood didn't help.

Another wolf howled and jumped on Alex. He let go, which allowed my body to heal in seconds. I sat and stared in awe at the other wolf clawing and pounding on Alex with fury. Alex, made weak from my drinking, surrendered and shifted back. Even though he deserved it, I shifted away from the sight of his scars. The other wolf shifted back. "Kari," Gretchen called out to her younger sister. The girl peeped from the doorway. "Take him back to the car."

She nodded, perhaps overwhelmed at the situation, and dragged the unconscious Alex outside. Gretchen directed her attention to me. "Are you okay?" She rubbed my body as I stood. "I'm so sorry he did this to you." She hugged me tightly.

"I'm okay now, thanks to you." So many questions filled my head. "Why was he doing this? Where's Darren in this? Why's Kari here?" Some of those questions seemed irrelevant as my brain began working properly.

"Let's just take a walk." She held my hand, which comforted me after the recent events. We walked toward Darren's room. "He's been hostile lately toward everyone. I think his wolf's soul isn't ready to overcome his vengeance."

Getting over their anger was the reason wolf souls possess people. They have a vengeful spirit that could betray them anytime. I realize how werewolves were just like vampires. They couldn't help but be a threat to everyone else. I wished everyone could be ordinary humans with untainted souls.

Gretchen continued, "Kari wants to become a werewolf, but after what she saw, she'll want nothing to do with it."

Gretchen knocked on Darren's door, but when he didn't respond, she opened it. Darren lay on his bed with his eyes closed. I stared at his seemingly lifeless body. When humans sleep, you can tell from their breathing, but when someone's a vampire, they have an equal chance of being dead.

She shook him. "Darren, you alive?" A low mumble came from his mouth until silence again. She shrugged. "I guess he's alive for now."

"I don't understand. He's a vampire, so he should be immortal and rejuvenate himself. Why is he so weak?"

"Dr. Sawyer isn't an experienced witch, so the amateur version of the spell might be wearing off. Plus, he hangs out with Bridgett and her presence, voice, and touch can reverse the vampire effect. I never thought he'd last long, even with the vampire abilities."

It's sad to see him go. It explained why Bridgett didn't say much, and her touch caused that powerful, short snap back of my soul. I kneeled, thinking how the brother I hardly know could be leaving soon. "Do you think he'll be happy after this?"

"Darren hates being a vampire. He carried a lot of guilt and feelings of inadequacy from it. Even if it means he will die, he'll be much happier to become his soul again. Just like your mom, he'll be in a better place."

"Okay." That made me feel better. I looked forward to becoming my soul someday and meeting my mom again. This world was interesting, but it's no place for a permanent home.

I headed to Nick's and Cecil's room. "He also tried to kill my dad and Darren's mom." She put her arm around my shoulders to comfort me. I'd be too distraught without Gretchen in this situation. I came too close to losing my other parent and my brother. She's the person I hoped would stay with me.

"Alex has left." I said as I stepped into their room. "Gretchen helped me scare him away."

"I'm so sorry you went through what he did to you." She shook their hands to greet them. "I'll make sure he won't do this again."

"We're better now, thanks." Nick said as Gretchen stepped away.

"I'll need to check on my sister. Bye." Before she left, she whispered into my ear. "If you want to visit me, I live in that brown house next to the restaurant." I nodded, as I was sure I'd head there soon. I hoped Alex won't hurt her or Kari. They were crucial to me if I lose Darren.

"Shelly," I reluctantly turned to Cecil, who called me. "You've changed. I don't have a problem with you." She held back more praise, but her appreciation satisfied me. I loved how I changed from when I first met her.

We went downstairs to clean from the fight. It helped me relax after that attack, but I trembled as I wiped the blood off the floor. I wouldn't feel safe with Alex around, and it's also strange he left Darren alone. "Darren has been sleeping all day." I brought him up to see how they would respond.

"He's been like that lately." Nick reorganized the tables and chairs. "We pulled him from school after two days."

"Do you think Dr. Sawyer's spell is wearing off him?"

"No, it can't wear off." Cecil said defensively, but she was just telling herself that.

"I hope it won't." I mumbled. It must be, but I should comfort her. I did feel bad for him and her. This was a devastating time for Cecil. I rubbed her shoulder. "I'm here for you if you need it." She smiled as she nodded. I'd like to stay with them, but I had to visit Dr. Sawyer, no matter how nervous I was about what would happen when I arrive.