Chapter 10: Contemplation

At home, I stared at my mom's grave. It seemed unhealthy, but I kept thinking about my life without her. Time should've stopped for me since I gave everything to her. What future do I have now? Somehow, I was surviving without her. I met friends and gained unique experiences from this. Soon, I'd be an adult and go my own way. I wouldn't have kept her support forever. Someday, everyone loses their parents, but I hoped to be much older by then. This was my circumstances, and I must accept it.

I thought back to Nick's earlier text about Fay's interest in becoming a vampire. Maybe she wasn't as innocent as I thought. Some abilities, like immortality and quick healing, would appeal to anybody, while the others could harm others. She got annoyed with people and get petty revenge. They mainly gossiped about me being born out of wedlock. They were just catty women I would've ignored, but she took things too personally. If she used her powers like that, it would be too dangerous and reckless. Still, Fay didn't deserve to die, especially the way she did. I should get my revenge in a few days. A crow pecked at the ground near her tombstone. I realized I have the same vengeful tendencies, but this was a serious situation. Crossing my arms, I understood revenge may cause additional problems.

I spent the next day finishing my birthday bread and cake, enjoying my time off school. The solitude was peaceful when Dad texted me often. My blood cravings lessened. I was free to do whatever I pleased with no responsibilities. This was one of the happiest and relaxing times in my life. It's not the same without my mom, but it meant I would be happy again. Plus, soon I would get the results Nick sent to Dr. Sawyer and see witch Bridgett.

Saturday finally arrived after my much needed relaxing. I mentally prepared to see those results and meet Bridgett. I looked forward to visiting Nick's family and Gretchen. Cecil should have gotten over that confrontation. I hurried to the sound of Nick pacing around the kitchen. "Did you get the results?" I walked to him while he faced the wall and wiped his forehead.

"Yes," I paused, expecting him to say them, but he kept looking away. "There weren't any DNA or clues. All what Dr. Sawyer concluded was the close contact we had with her from the date. Sorry, Shelly, I have no idea who did this or how to find them."

I stared at my feet with slight trembling. Those results were my only hope of getting closure. Nick felt the way I did. I placed my hand on his back. "Thanks for trying. I will find who did this, don't worry."

He finally turned toward me. "It will be dangerous for you to investigate alone." He smoothed my hair. "I don't think that matters. It won't undo what happened. Maybe we'll just move beyond this."

I appreciated his attempt to comfort me, but I couldn't let this go. There must be evidence with the claw marks and teeth marks. Fay should've scratched the murderer. Checking her fingernails would be obvious. "Can I see the results? Dr. Sawyer must've kept a report of it."

He rubbed his chin, eyes darting around the room. "I guess. They're in his office." He walked to a kitchen drawer and took a pen and flash card. After some reluctance, he scribbled on it, and then brought it to me.

I memorized the address, suspecting him of hiding something. "Are you sure he saw nothing?" He squirmed at my accusing stare. Even being much taller and wider than me, I still intimidated my father. Even while annoyed, I enjoyed being strong.

"I'm telling you what he said. I loved her as much as you did." He scratched his head. "You'll see when you meet Dr, Sawyer."

I glared at him as I put the card into my pocket. He might be hiding something, but he's sad and scared. He loved Fay like I did, so he wouldn't have harmful intentions. I'd let it go until I meet Dr. Sawyer later. I went to Darren's room to ask him about visiting Bridgett.