Chapter 7: Changes

The bus dropped me off at Fay's house. I liked being home with my car and belongings. Nick cleaned the kitchen, so it looked like nothing happened. It used to be my favorite room with wonderful memories of my mom, but it's nothing but a reminder of that grisly night. The scene where my life changed forever was perfectly tidy. The only reminder was the lace curtain was replaced with a solid, white one.

While I ate my birthday foods, I contemplated on Fay's murder. Nick wouldn't have done it. If he wanted her gone, then he would've continued ignoring us. We'd cut contact long ago. He's been too kind and helpful for me, which was guilt for his previous neglect. Darren seemed doubtful. He didn't know me when he saw me, and he seemed too depressed to get off his bed. His aloof attitude was off-putting, but that's his personality combined with just meeting me. I'd check if he gets better. Cecil seemed the most likely. She must've been as upset as Fay when she discovered the truth about my dad. She was losing him when she had a sick son, so it's natural she'd get rid of Fay. I had no proof, so I'd look for that.

I headed upstairs to my room. Glancing out my window, I dropped to the floor. Dad buried my mom in a subtle grave. The grass was pulled out and covered with leaves and lawn statues. It's hitting me that she's gone and wouldn't come back. This empty house was a constant reminder. The only good thing was her soul was free.

I collapsed on my bed with no motivation to do anything, let alone homework. My phone got a text from Nick. 'I got your number from Fay's phone. I'm wondering if you're okay.'

His texting helped. 'I'm lonely here without mom. I saw where you buried her. Could you help me figure out who did this?'

'You can live with me instead. I took samples in case the murderer left DNA. I took them to Dr. Sawyer to examine. He understands the situation, and I'll tell you the results when they come. We'll get justice, and it'll get better.'

I grinned with hope I would soon get my answers and revenge. Once I get that, I'd find the witch that turned me and force her to change me back. Someday, I would be done with this horrible experience.

At the next day at school, I sat next to my new friend, Kari, at lunch. "Do you know someone who can reverse the vampire effect?"

"Bridgett can." Kari looked around the cafeteria. "She goes to our school, but is usually hiding because she gets bullied a lot."

"That's too bad." I said, wondering if I saw her around this place.

Kari shrugged. "It's the vibe she has. She has powerful magic. At the restaurant, she was turning vampires back to humans without permission, so Gretchen kicked her out."

"Interesting." Darren and Gretchen had a conversation about a girl when I first entered that place, and they could've been talking about her. "Any idea where I can find her?"

"She's pretty, with long, black, curly hair, blue eyes, and a bit pale. You'll sense her presence if she's close by, but she mostly avoids people."

"I'll look for her." I haven't seen anyone at school who matched that description. She had been in the restaurant, so Darren knew her. They must've been talking about her. Darren said he didn't know anyone who could reverse this vampire effect, but he lied to me. I needed to ask him and head back to that restaurant. Not only did I need drinks, I could get Gretchen to tell me about Bridgett.

After school, I did my homework at Fay's house. Soon I'd be human again, and this work would matter. Fay told me to do well in school, go to college, and get a good job. I worked hard to give her that, and it's more important I fulfill her wishes. Although I didn't know yet what I wanted for the future, but that should wait until this situation was resolved.

I drove to my dad's place. He stood in the kitchen, glad to see me. "Have you heard from Dr. Sawyer?" I asked, knowing it's too soon, but I was too eager.

"No. It'll take a few days, but it's his priority. He's thorough with gathering results."

I nodded, expecting that. As I headed toward Darren's room to ask about Bridgett, I decided to probe Cecil. I opened her room door, where she turned toward me, sitting on her bed with a glass of wine. It reminded me of my mom when she drank often. "Shelly, you should knock before entering." Cecil put her glass on the nightstand.

She's right. It's a bad habit of mine. "If you don't need it, then why are you drinking wine?"

She grinned at me with her hair down her back and dressed casually in a sweater and jeans, unlike when I first saw her. "It still helps me relax."

"What are you stressed about?" I asked, coming closer to her in the soft green room.

"All sorts of stuff." She shrugged. "Like work, Darren, and his father's attitude toward him."

"I see." I would get to my point. "How do you feel about what happened to my mom?"

She paused in surprise, but looked at her lap. "It's tragic, really, to lose your mom so young."

I dropped onto the bed next to her. "Did it bother you that Nick was going back to my mom?"

"Yeah..." She took a long sip of her wine. "Are you perhaps suggesting I'm responsible?"

I stared back, too nervous to say anything. This idea was as stupid as me scaring the school nurse. I didn't even think it through before I stepped in here.

"How could you think I did something so gory?" She stood and backed away from me. I wondered if she would hurt me, or if she was afraid of me.

I stepped toward the door. Before I left, she said one more thing. "I'll tell your father the twisted way you think, and he won't be so overly kind to you." I shut the door, and I messed up again. Hopefully Nick wouldn't get mad, since his support was the only thing I had.

Taking Cecil's advice, I knocked on Darren's door and told him it's me. He let me in and I sat on his bed. He put aside his phone that he was texting on. I believed he always did that. "Who are you texting?" I pointed to the phone after he turned off the screen.

He looked back at it, as if contemplating whether to tell me the truth. "It's Bridgett."

Darren's dishonesty made me doubt him. "Someone at school told me about her. So, she's your friend? Did you know she could reverse the vampire effect?"

He sighed. "I guess she can, but I don't need that yet. I wasn't ready to talk about it with you." He turned on the phone and read her messages. "We can only communicate through text since even her presence can slowly reverse it. She hides to avoid hurting anyone."

Darren just hid minor information. He wanted Bridgett's power, but he couldn't have it yet. I was lucky to be well outside of this vampire spell. Even Bridgett was facing more hardship than me. They could have a good relationship, but that would never happen. "I see, but I hope to meet her soon." He looked at his phone while I still felt guilty. "I'm sorry for what you're going through. It's worse than what I have. I wish I could take some of it from you." I said this with much sympathy because I meant it. His issues were awful, and I wished I could make it better.

He smirked, noticing the difference. "I heard my mom was upset with you."

"Yeah, I shouldn't accuse her, but it's natural for me to be curious."

"Yes, but my mom didn't attack you and Fay. She was upset about our dad, but she wouldn't have gone that far."

"I guess you're right." At this point, I didn't want to lose their support. "I want to go to that restaurant again."

He nodded, and that's when we heard Cecil stomped toward Nick, who was downstairs. She'd tell him how unpleasant I was. I needed to know how he'd take it, so I left Darren's room. He followed me, also curious.