Chapter 81 - Concerns of the Raging Bull

The Third Fleet under Admiral Halsey attacked Okinawa and Taiwan with a task force based on 11 Essex-class aircraft carriers and dealt a significant blow to the Japanese air forces deployed in those areas with overwhelming force. However, the Japanese forces didn't passively endure the attacks. Both the army and navy bravely counterattacked with available forces, inflicting considerable damage on the American carrier-based air squadrons. Nevertheless, the replenishment of depleted aircraft from the escort carriers of the TG 3.7, belonging to the Third Fleet, allowed the mobile unit's air squadron to maintain its numerical strength.

"Over fifty unrecoverable and about a hundred irreparable aircraft. More than expected, but still within acceptable limits."

In the damage reports of the Okinawa and Taiwan air battles, Halsey found it surprising that Japan still retained a considerable air force at this stage. He recalled the Battle of Brisbane, which occurred almost two years ago. Since then, the Allied air forces, primarily led by the United States, consistently pressured and engaged in attrition warfare against the Japanese air forces.

The key to Japan's resilience against the superior Allied air forces lies in their early strategic contraction, increasing the density of counterattacks. Furthermore, significant technical support from Germany played a crucial role. High-performance fighters like the Fw 190 clearly outmatched American planes like the P-40 and F4F, and even the advanced P-38 and F6F struggled. Japan's early warning systems also benefited from German technological support. In addition, Japanese planes have a higher utilization rate than they imagine, and it was said that they also benefit greatly from the lubricating oil and electrical components brought in from Germany. Japan, aware of the importance of Germany, made efforts to maintain the Japan-Europe sea route in the southern theater with outdated light cruisers, destroyers, and numerous coastal defense ships and subchasers.

A significant challenge for the US was that even Japan's escort units equipped with outdated ships had high-performance German sonar. This resulted in a series of sinkings or disappearances of friendly submarines. Japan's robust maritime traffic protection policy made it challenging for the US to succeed in commerce raiding, falling far short of pre-war expectations, partly due to dud torpedoes. Despite these challenges, Japan's ability to resist the United States for over three years can be attributed to various factors.

However, if the US recaptures the Philippines, the situation will drastically change. Cutting off Japan's connection with Germany and disrupting the flow of resources from the southern resource zone would severely impact Japan, as demonstrated by the dire situation of the United Kingdom, another island nation heavily dependent on overseas resources but with the support of the United States, unlike Japan. Therefore, if the US moves against the Philippines, the Combined Fleet will undoubtedly sortie. Already, Ranger units have been landed on Suluan Island, about 100 kilometers east of Leyte. The Japanese must have already sensed this.

"It seems the resistance of these yellow monkeys has reached its limit over the years."

Halsey was convinced of this.

The Japanese Navy has only nine carriers with reasonably capable air wings for fleet battles. Among them, only Kaga, Sōryū, and Hiryū are considered proper carriers, while the remaining six are either small carriers or converted carriers. The combined aircraft capacity of these nine carriers is at most around 350 aircraft, less than one-third of the Americans. As expected, air superiority plays a significant role in modern naval warfare, as evident from the outcomes of the Battles of Brisbane and the Marianas. Furthermore, the disparity in surface strike vessels is equally significant, and a direct confrontation should allow the Third Fleet to easily overcome the Combined Fleet.

"But..."

Despite the overwhelming advantage on the side of the Allies, Halsey couldn't shake off a disturbing premonition. These yellow monkeys from the East, with their different values, might do something unthinkable by normal human standards. He couldn't shake the feeling that such an eventuality might be approaching.