Chapter 70 - Counterattack of the 46 cm Guns

The enemy's evasion maneuvers were so brilliant that it was infuriating for them. It seemed they incorporated frequent turns along with acceleration and deceleration. The future position of the enemy was extremely difficult to predict.

Among the American battleship column, the positions of the fifth to eighth ships, Massachusetts, Alabama, Washington, and North Carolina, were targeted not only by the 3rd Battleship Division's Kongō-class battleships but also by the four Yamato-class battleships of the 1st Battleship Division. The area around them, subjected to the barrage of thirty-six 46 cm guns and thirty-two 36 cm guns firing in salvo, was constantly erupting water splashes due to continuous hits. However, the four American battleships skillfully maneuvered their bows between the rising water columns, desperately continuing their evasion maneuvers. Nevertheless, not all ships emerged unscathed. The Massachusetts suffered a fire in the aft section from a 36 cm shell fired by the Hiei. However, it was quickly extinguished, and the Massachusetts continued its gunfire as if nothing had happened.

On the other hand, the damage to the 3rd Battleship Division, targeted by all American battleships, was severe. The division's flagship, Hiei, commanded by Rear Admiral Shingo Ishikawa, tilted significantly forward due to flooding caused by hits to the bow, rendering it unable to fire. Moreover, thick smoke billowed from near the fourth turret. With the bow underwater and the stern engulfed in flames, it was a nightmare scenario for the sailors. If emergency damage control failed, and a bulkhead was pierced or the magazine ignited, her fate would be sealed. Inside the Hiei, officers and crew were desperately engaged in damage control, risking their lives for survival.

The second ship, Kirishima, also faced a dire situation. While not suffering a massive breach below the waterline like the Hiei, much of her superstructure was destroyed, and its counterfire was feeble. A head-on confrontation was the Achilles' heel of the Kongō-class battleships, which sacrificed defense for speed. Currently, this weakness is being exposed in full force. Similar to Hiei and Kirishima, Kongō and Haruna had also been hit, but their hits were fortunate, and all guns were still operational, with full engine power available. However, it was evident that such luck might not continue for Kongō and Haruna.

Witnessing the dire situation of the 3rd Battleship Division, the anxiety among the officers and soldiers of the 1st Battleship Division, including Admiral Yorio Sawamoto, deepened. In the midst of this, Captain Nobue Morishita of the Kii observed the movements of the targeted enemy eighth ship that had approached. He was originally supposed to become the captain of the Yamato at the beginning of this year. However, due to personnel purges related to the Battle of Brisbane, he assumed the position of captain of the Kii in November of the previous year. Morishita was a skilled helmsman and, at the same time, a specialist in evasion. Because of this, he could observe something by putting himself in the position of the new battleships from the fifth enemy ship onwards.

On the other hand, it was unfortunate for the eighth enemy ship, the American North Carolina, that the movements of the three companion ships, the fifth, sixth, and seventh ships passing ahead, were erratic. Handling one ship alone required attention, and with three ships ahead, maneuvering options were limited. Captain Morishita understood the difficult situation the North Carolina was currently in and also saw through its evasion pattern.

"Gunners! Pay attention not only to the target ship but also to the movements of the seventh ship in front! The eighth enemy ship is slightly behind the seventh ship and is taking the same evasive pattern. If the seventh ship goes right, it goes right; if it goes left, it goes left. Acceleration and deceleration are the same. It is constantly moving to maintain the same distance and position. Probably fearing a collision. The key to defeating the eighth enemy ship lies with the seventh enemy ship."

To Morishita's succinct summary, the gunnery officer replied briefly in understanding. Understanding ten from one is not only a naval officer's skill but also a common practice for all of humanity. At the same time, the gunnery officer declared firmly.

"If we can anticipate the enemy's evasion movements, with this shortened distance, we can surely hit them. From the next round, we'll fire in unison."

The gunnery officer, too, must have been aware of the dangerous situation the 3rd Battleship Division was in. While understanding the possibility of wasted shots, he aimed for swift decision-making. Morishita also had no objections to the gunnery officer's strategy. There was a brief pause until the next salvo. While observing the movement of the seventh enemy ship, he calculated the timing of firing at the eighth enemy ship.

And the moment arrived.

The main guns roared, unleashing an unprecedented amount of flames.

A counter-fire of 46-centimeter guns.

It was the moment when the Kii let out her roar.