Chapter 45 - Compensation

"Did we hit any of those Yamato-class battleships with more than one torpedoes, and also hit every carrier with at least one bomb?"

Upon receiving the battle results report from his staff, Admiral Nimitz, the Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Fleet, recalled the strategic plan presented to him by Admiral Halsey before the war.

"Talking about how powerful the Yamato-class battleships are ultimately boils down to them being nothing more than oversized battleships. Certainly, they would demonstrate unparalleled strength in two-dimensional naval battles, such as surface artillery duels. However, those massive vessels tend to neglect their vulnerabilities in the sky and underwater. So, we should confront them in the three-dimensional warfare they are not adept at. Conveniently, we have specialists in airplanes and submarines right here."

While Halsey laughed as he spoke, Nimitz however inquired about specific details of the vision. Nimitz was well aware that Halsey is not someone who makes confident statements without a basis, but business is business.

"I intend to have the torpedo bombers of Task Force 18 and Task Force 19 cripple the legs and sides of the Yamato-class battleships, and dive bombers will target the troublesome aircraft carriers. Unfortunately, my task force has only four carriers. Even with around 300 planes, we can disable enemy ships, but sinking them is another matter. Therefore, I want to entrust the finishing blow to Task Force 1 and the submarine force."

"I understand the logic of reducing the strength of the large battleships and enemy carriers with aircraft, and finishing them off with new battleships or submarines. However, even so, the enemy's strength is formidable. I doubt that sinking both the Yamato-class battleships and the enemy carriers is possible with only four carriers."

"All the carrier-based aircraft of the four carriers will be dedicated to attacking enemy ships. If we deploy fighter cover as well, we should be able to penetrate the enemy's thick anti-aircraft defenses."

To the confident Halsey, Nimitz, however, raised a very ordinary question.

"But then, what about the airspace above the carriers? No matter how powerful our ships' anti-aircraft firepower is, without fighter cover, significant damage is unavoidable."

"So, that's where you come in. I hate to ask, but could you arrange for the Army to provide P-38s? With those heavy fighters, if we organize them properly, we should be able to keep dozens of them constantly patrolling over the carrier task force. And dealing with things like coordination and negotiation is your specialty, right?"

Halsey, with a smile, dumped an incredibly troublesome task on him. However, without a particularly good solution, Nimitz accepted it. And the results are as follows.

Nimitz thanked Halsey and the men of the carrier task force in his heart for their dedication. According to the battle results report, the Japanese fleet turned its bow northward, attempting to withdraw from the battlefield. In other words, not the entire Pacific Fleet but TF 18 and TF 19, at the cost of their lives, successfully defended Brisbane's submarine base and the city from the clutches of the Japanese fleet.

As a result, the primary objective of the operation, the defense of Brisbane and the prevention of Australia's fall, was fully achieved, confirming a strategic victory for the Allied forces or the Pacific Fleet here. But there was a heavy price to pay. The aircraft carriers Yorktown and Ranger were sunk after taking numerous torpedoes, and Hornet and Wasp each suffered concentrated torpedo hits on one side. Hornet may somehow manage to return to Brisbane with the help of other ships, but the situation seemed quite dire for Wasp. Many aircraft were lost, and especially, nearly half of the fighter pilots were reported to have died.

In the midst of a disadvantageous situation for friendly forces, the overwhelming efforts of the carrier task force personnel managed to drive away the formidable Japanese fleet. Therefore, it is imperative to reciprocate their dedication and sacrifices. Nimitz, as the Commander-in-Chief of the Pacific Fleet and the commander of TF 1, issued an unusually stirring order.

"The submarine force is to transition from surveillance duty to attack duty. Task Force 1 will pursue the Japanese fleet from now on to expand our achievements. All ships, change course by 10 degrees. The time to repay our debt at the Marshall Islands is now! Drive those invaders into the waters of Australia!"