Chapter 92 - Difference in Class

In the midst of a fierce exchange of fire between Japanese and American battleships, the first fatal blow was delivered by the Ōmi out of the seven Yamatos. Positioned at the rear of the battleship formation, the Ōmi was targeted by the large cruisers, or rather battlecruisers, Alaska and Guam. Despite the supposed advantage in long-range artillery combat, the Ōmi found herself at a disadvantage as it was targeted by these two ships.

Both the Alaska and Guam were equipped with three triple 30 cm turrets, and their main gun projectiles, exceeding 500 kilograms in weight, were exceptionally heavy considering their caliber. Furthermore, their firing rate was perfect for a battleship. While the 30 cm shells from the Alaska and Guam did not penetrate the vital parts of the Ōmi, they still inflicted considerable damage on the unarmored sections and superstructures of the ship.

"This may not be a one-shot kill, but we can bleed them slowly."

When the captains of the Alaska and Guam felt a sense of accomplishment, the Ōmi finally managed to crossfire against the primary target, the Alaska. In the transition to a simultaneous broadside, the first salvo scored a direct hit, causing considerable damage to the engine room of the large cruiser. The 46 cm shell pierced through the armor surrounding the engine room, exploding the boilers in a spectacular fashion. Although the boiler destruction did not result in a complete loss, it significantly compromised the power source, jeopardizing the ship's maneuverability.

To avoid a collision with the rapidly decelerating Alaska, the Guam sailing behind her turned. However, this meant that the firing data acquired against the Ōmi so far became useless. Seizing this opportunity, the Ōmi also shifted its target from the Alaska to the Guam. In the renewed artillery duel, once again, the Guam took the initiative. However, the difference was minimal, and slightly delayed, the Ōmi also scored hits. The slugfest between the two ships ultimately favored the one with the size advantage – the Guam with a standard displacement of 30.000 tons against the Ōmi's 64.000 tons. The 30 cm main guns of the Guam were against the 46 cm guns of the Ōmi, with the projectile weight difference reaching almost threefold.

Despite the vast difference in class, meaning an opponent that should not be engaged directly, the Guam chose to face the Ōmi head-on. While the Guam managed to land nearly twice as many hits due to the superiority of its fire control system and firing rate, the accumulated damage was significantly greater on the Guam. The 46 cm shells fired by the Ōmi pierced through the armor regardless of the impact location, relentlessly pounding and debilitating the Guam. The Guam was a state-of-the-art vessel equipped with the latest emergency command devices and an excellent damage control team. However, the overwhelming destructive power of the 46 cm shells proved too much for its damage control capabilities to handle. Engulfed in flames and smoke raging inside the ship, the Guam rapidly lost her resilience.

"No matter how formidable the Yamato-class battleships may be, when faced with the combined force of two Alaska-class large cruisers, they can put up a good fight."

The captain of the Guam and its crew, who had thought about such scenarios before the war, now couldn't help but entertain doubts about the accuracy of their pre-battle assessments. Nonetheless, in their desperate efforts for victory and survival, the crew of the Guam persisted in a fierce counterattack and damage control.

During this struggle, however, one of the shells from the sixth volley fired by the Ōmi struck near the first turret of the Guam, penetrating the armor and reaching the ammunition storage. The 46 cm shell ignited the propellant and shells inside, releasing its explosive force. Unable to withstand the internal pressure from the explosion, the Guam burst into a massive pillar of fire and smoke, simultaneously tearing apart the front section of the ship from the first turret. The subsequent flooding caused the Guam to tilt heavily forward.

Meanwhile, deeming that it had dealt decisive damage to the eighth enemy ship, the Ōmi redirected its focus once again, targeting the seventh ship. With half of her propulsion incapacitated and unable to escape the 46 cm artillery onslaught of the Ōmi, the Alaska was left with no escape.