Chapter 59 - Priority Target

At the start of the battle, the number of F6F Hellcat fighters exceeded 300, but in a short period, it was reduced to less than 200. On the other hand, the Zero fighters still had more than 300 flying around. With the current significant advantage in favor of the Zeros, continuing the battle in this manner could lead to the elimination of the F6Fs. There is no difference in the weight of life between the average soldiers and pilots on both sides.

However, there is a difference in the strategic weight between the average soldiers and pilots. If, at this moment, they shoot down as many F6Fs and their pilots as possible, it will undoubtedly have a significant impact on the future course of the war. If this happens, the survival rate of the Imperial Navy's fighter squadrons, especially among the younger pilots, may also improve, albeit slightly. Amidst the increasing disparity in the number of fighters and the average skill level of pilots between Japan and the United States, seasoned Zero fighter pilots have become a rare breed, and they are eager to engage the F6Fs almost recklessly. However, at that moment, a radio order came from the fighter squadron commander.

"Third Fleet fighters will continue the battle. Fourth Fleet fighters, attack the new enemy formation."

Since the first wave of enemies was composed only of fighters, the second wave undoubtedly consisted of a combination of fighters, dive bombers, and torpedo bombers. Allowing this to pass through would undoubtedly result in a severe blow to the friendly fleet. Therefore, the decision was made to divide the forces. The Zeros of the Third Fleet will continue to engage the F6Fs of the first wave to hold them back, while the Zeros of the Fourth Fleet will confront the second wave of enemies. If the first wave was left unattended and they used all their units to attack the second wave, the F6Fs of the first wave might attack from behind. The division of the force into two was a measure to prevent this.

The instructions given to the Zero fighter pilots before the battle emphasized prioritizing attacks on aircraft with anti-ship capabilities, such as dive bombers and torpedo bombers. On the other hand, engagements with enemy fighters were to be avoided unless strictly necessary for self-defense. From the perspective of surface ships, fighters without anti-ship attack capabilities, such as bombs or torpedoes, are not a significant threat. However, ignoring them while attacking dive bombers or torpedo bombers could expose the Zeros to attacks from enemy escort fighters. Even so, they cannot be left unattended if escort fighters accompany the second wave. If they ignore them and focus on the attackers, they will be overwhelmed by the enemy escort fighters.

After the intense battle with the first wave of F6Fs, most Zeros still had about half of their machine gun ammunition remaining. The development of belt-fed machine guns allowed the Type 99 guns on the Zero Model 53 to be equipped with 200 rounds per gun. Furthermore, the ability to switch between full-auto fire for heavy bombers and a more economical two-gun burst mode for single-engine aircraft allowed for versatile engagement tactics.

Out of the approximately 150 Zeros from the Fourth Fleet that faced the second wave of enemies, around 100 became entangled with the enemy escort fighters. However, the remaining aircraft charged directly at the enemy torpedo bombers. The tactical approach of the American carrier strike force involved torpedo bombers reducing the speed and offensive capabilities of battleships, while dive bombers targeted the flight decks of carriers to disable their aviation capabilities. Both American torpedo bombers and dive bombers were undoubtedly threats to the friendly fleet. However, the Zero fighter pilots were strictly ordered to prioritize attacking enemy torpedo bombers when facing a situation where they could only engage one type of aircraft. In the choice between helping a battleship or a carrier, the order was clear: assist the battleship. This directive, while dissatisfying to fighter pilots who considered themselves the main force in aerial combat, had to be followed as there was no other viable option.

Utilizing its speed advantage, the Zeros closed in on the TBF Avengers one after another, 20 mm guns blazing. No Zero pilot was allowed to confront enemy dive bombers unless all TBFs were dealt with. The pressure resulting from this urgency led to several Zero fighters being hit. Nevertheless, the overwhelming difference in maneuverability and speed between the Zero and TBF meant that, except for some TBFs that managed to escape by ditching their torpedoes, all of them were shot down. By that time, however, the enemy dive bombers had penetrated to a position where the pursuing Zero fighters couldn't catch up in time.