pieces of the puzzle

C A S S I A N

"We have to go back now Cassian," Stella scolded me sternly as she pushed me away

"We have to go back now Cassian," Stella scolded me sternly as she pushed me away. I could only laugh as I reached for her arm and embraced her from the back but she was adamant to keep me away.

We've been stuck in the cabin for a whole day partly because unbeknownst to us, a snowstorm swept over our region overnight and covered the doorway with snow and mainly because... well, we were quite preoccupied. When we woke up, we were greeted with the quiet and beauty the storm brought.

Stella suggested that we check on the pack but I've already linked with the other leaders to make sure that everything was well. And so another night passed.

I was convincing Stella that another night wouldn't make any difference and that the snow was still too high for us to cross to reach the pack but she caught me simply making excuses.

"And when you're too tired walking over the mountain of snow, don't come asking me fore help," I tease as I took my coat off the rack. Luckily, my family still left a decent amount of clothes for us to not to run the laundry multiple times. Food also wasn't any problem as we always have some stored.

"Like I will, I can handle myself."

I shook my head and made a final round around the house to make sure everything we didn't leave anything burning.

It was already noontime and although I told Claude that we would be at the pack house by the morning, even that proved too difficult to do.

The snow was blinding as we stepped outside as the sun hit its surface. I turned to Stella who was squinting her eyes with difficulty. I then pulled the hood of her cloak. "Don't go blinding yourself, we have a long way to go," I tell her and off we went.

We were a good twenty minute walk from the pack but with the snow, it would take us at least half an hour. I glanced at Stella who was talking about how she was an expert in navigating snowy terrains but was clearly having a hard time with each step she took. She must've forgotten to factor in that we aren't in the city and snow doesn't melt as easy here.

This isn't good. Stella's body is quite frail and I don't want her to be too exposed to the cold, she might get sick again.

At around the 10-minute mark, I noticed that Stella was already sweating and panting. Walking in high snow is truly difficult especially in our region and if you aren't used to it or physically active.

"This won't do, Ms. Expert. Let's take another route, it might be a shortcut," I tell her.

She looks up to me with a glare, annoyed at what I said.

"If there was a shortcut all along, why didn't we head there in the first place?!" Stella asks annoyedly, making me smile. She probably didn't know that the colour of her eyes changed from those glowing grey momentarily as her anger flared.