Chapter 15 - Marrow

Start from the beginning

"Who was that?" Jared questioned Emily, also turning his head in the direction of the window through to the Mixing Room.

"I-I think it was Emma. Jay. What if she—"

"She won't. The glass is soundproof, you have to press a button to be able to communicate through. Plus I trust her even if she happened to hear anything." Jay turned back to Emily and smiled a soft smile at her.

"Oh. OK." Emily suddenly turned her head back to face Jared, when she felt his fingers tucking some hair from her bob back behind her ear.

'You cut your hair?"

"Huh? Oh yeah." She laughed. "Alex is going through a chewing phase. I got fed up of him chewing and sucking on the ends of it. I'm still getting used to it, but it's growing on me."

He laughed as well at her reply about Alex. "You look stunning. You always do. I saw your photos from last night at Shan's launch party"

She blushed at his words. "Jay...you know nothing can ever happen between us. I'm sorry. I love you as a dear friend, but I'm marrying Shannon. We're not planning on anything big or flashy. I-I don't even know when it's happening yet. We only got engaged about a month ago."

He just looked at her and didn't say anything.

"We should get back. Shan's already in a mood with me."

"Why?"

"Because I went after you, when I saw you were hurt about finding out about our engagement like that. He said you were being melodramatic."

Jared sighed. "He would."

Their conversation was cut through by the sound of Emily's phone ringing.

"You better get that."

"I hope it's not Kali. I'm flying back later tonight, I hope there's nothing wrong with Alex. I'll see you back upstairs, OK?"

Jared smiled at her as she made her way over to the door taking her phone out of her back pocket as she went.

************************************

Emily finished up her phone call. It was Kali just phoning to check what time her flight was landing into Anchorage and if she needed a ride from the airport back to her apartment.

Shoving her phone back into her back pocket, she walked up the short path Jared had by the pool and up to his patio, making her way in through the double doors and into his vast kitchen.

Emma was busy fixing herself a rice bowl and greeted her as she stepped inside. Emily's mind was so full of other things that she hadn't registered that Emma was there and her greeting made her jump just as she was pulling her phone back out of her pocket again to quickly check something.

'SHIT!" Emily's phone flew out of her hand, but she managed to catch it before it clattered to the floor.

"Whoops! Sorry Em. I thought you'd noticed me. Is your phone OK?"

"No. I hadn't, sorry. My minds just swimming with stuff at the moment. Kali just phoned me."

"Is everything OK back home? Is Alex ok?"

"Yeah he's fine, she was just checking what time I was getting into Anchorage later, after Shan has dropped me off at the airport."

"Ok that's good." Emma fidgeted awkwardly with her fork.

Emily noticed that she seemed a little off, and frowned, "are you OK Emma? You seem like something is on your mind?" She pulled up a seat at Jared's kitchen island and sat down across from Emma, who was anxiously fiddling with her fork.