Chapter Five: Heart of Darkness (Part 6)

Jughead's Narration: Every town has one

Every town has one. The house on the haunted hill all the kids avoid. Now that Jason was buried in the earth, it would only be a matter of time until something poisonous bloomed.

Jodie's Narration:
In that long, cold shadow cast by his death. Whatever grew in the rich black soil of the Blossom's garden always found its way to the town.

Jughead's Narration:
Whether it was murder.

Jodie's Narration:
Or love.

Jughead's Narration:
Or secrets.

Jodie's Narration:
Or lies.

******

Riverdale High School (Over a Week Later)

(Over a Week Later)

Nothing much had happened since the memorial service. Cheryl was still the HBIC of the River Vixens and Jason's murder was still the town's biggest mystery. At school, while Tammy was handing out birthday party invitations to some of our fellow classmates, I was sitting in the Blue and Gold Room with my brother and Betty, hearing that they found out Jason and Polly were actually engaged, before he tried leaving Riverdale.

Betty: *sitting on the edge of a desk* Guys, I feel like I don't even know who my mom and dad are anymore.

Jughead: *leaning against another desk* Betty, *stands up, walking towards the murder board* if your parents lied about Jason and Polly, there's probably more that they lied about.

Betty: *stands up, looking at him* What do you mean?

Jughead: Your dad said he would do anything to protect Polly. So the next logical question is...

Jodie: *sitting on top of the desk behind them, cutting him off* How far would he go to protect her?

Betty: *pauses* Guys, whoever broke into Sheriff Keller's house and stole all his evidence wasn't at the Drive-In. My Dad wasn't at the Drive-In. *takes the note with her family's last name that Jughead hands her, pinning it to the murder board* We need to talk to Polly.

Jodie: *hears her cellphone vibrate and takes it out of her leather jacket pocket, seeing Cheryl sent her a text* I gotta go, Guys. *hops off the desk* I'll see you in class. *grabs her laptop bag and starts to walk towards the door, stopping to look back at them* Almost forgot. *reaches into her bag and pulls out two neon pink envelopes* Tammy invited you guys to her birthday party. *hands one to each of them*

Jughead: *opens it, taking out the invitation and reading it* It's 80s themed?

Betty: *smiles a little, holding her invitation* Sounds like a lot of fun.

Jughead: Wait, we have to dress-up too?

Jodie: *rolls her eyes a little* I think you'll survive not wearing your "s" shirt for one night, Bro. *sees he's hesitant* C'mon, it's for Tammy. *grins softly* Plus, she put me in charge of the snacks and food for the party.

Jughead: *pauses, thinking about it* I guess it won't kill me.

Jodie: *chuckles softly* I'll see you guys later. *walks out of the room, heading to the school's art room. She goes inside and finds Cheryl waiting for her, smiling softly* Hey, got your text.

Cheryl: *smiles, looking at her* Hello, Jojokins. *starts walking towards her* Before you say anything, close your eyes.

Jodie: *a little confused* Okay... *closes her eyes*

Cheryl: No peeking. *stands behind her and gently grabs her shoulders, slowly guiding her to stand in front of an easel with a canvas on it* Open your eyes.

Jodie: *opens her eyes, gasping softly when she sees the canvas in front of her is a painting of herself leaning against her motorcycle, grinning softly and wearing one of her usual outfits and sunglasses* Wow,... *smiles* I love it, Cher. *looks at her* This is absolutely amazing.

Cheryl: *smiling* Do you really think so?

Jodie: *nods* Yeah.

Cheryl: *smiles even more* I'm so pleased. Because I painted this especially for you. It's a "thank you" for standing up for me to my mother. No one has ever done that before.

Jodie: Well, I know a thing or two about psycho moms. *grins softly, looking at the painting* I already know where I'm hanging it. Right on my bedroom wall, *looks back at Cheryl* where any exquisite work of art belongs.

Cheryl: You were a very inspiring subject, Jojo.

Jodie: *blushes softly, looking down at her feet* Thanks.

Cheryl: *breaking the momentary silence* So, word around school is that Tam Tam is handing out invites to her birthday party next week. The 80s theme is a bit cliché, but I've never been the one to turn down a party. *holds out her hand, waiting for her invitation*

Jodie: *pauses* Well, um, actually,...Tammy's decided to have a...small party. So,...she's really not inviting a lot of people from school.

Cheryl: *slowly putting her hand down* Including me?

Jodie: *pauses again, trying to figure out what to say* Tammy just thought it'd be better to invite her closest friends.

Cheryl: *frowning* I see.

Jodie: Maybe I can talk to her about giving you an invitation.

Cheryl: No, it's quite alright. It's Tammy's party, and she's free to invite whomever she pleases. *smiles* But please let her know that she will not be receiving a present from me.

Jodie: *awkwardly nods* Will do.

Cheryl: *hears the school bell ring, picking up her school books from a stool* Shall we walk to class together?

Jodie: *nods* Yeah, sure. *starts walking out of the art classroom with her, heading towards their next class*

Jughead's Narration:
Down the hallways of Riverdale High, walked the gothic heroine herself and her lady in shining armor. Neither Cheryl, nor Jodie were aware of the unbreakable bond that they had forged in the past week. A bond that was fated before they were even born, as if designed from Heaven itself. But one thing was certain, now that Jason was no longer here to protect Cheryl, Jodie would take his place. She would not only protect her wellbeing, but soon also fill the void that was left from Jason's death.