Chapter Six

I'm in the greenhouse. My greenhouse. There is a green house in the Castle gardens that sat unused for years. The last time it was used was long before the late king Robert was in power, when there where more Healing mages on the continent. The late king said the last healing mage used it to grow his own personal stash of herbs.

About a year ago, the late king rewarded me with this greenhouse. I had just helped heal half his army after a battle with Istam. I didn't have the complicated feelings I have now about Xhaiden's Kingdom. He said: "Your good deeds to our kingdom will never be forgotten." Though he never publicly praised me, or held some sort of official ceremony to award me this green house. A green house I could have come and claimed at any time if I wanted to. It belongs to any healer who resides in the castle and works for the king.

The only reason I started using it after the king gifted it to me, was because I didn't want to offend him by not making use of it. If I hadn't he would have noticed and probably taken out his anger on me. I can hear his voice in my head saying: "You ungrateful little bitch." A title given to me many times.

I'm watering a plant I would be happy to never see again. Black Lace. Its such a beautiful plant. Deceiving, is probably a better word. It's a flower. From the wide lush green leaves sprouts a single green stem. On top is a single black flower. It has large soft rounded petals. They're covered in holes that form delicate swirling patters. They're rare, and this one was another gift from the late king before he died. A strange bulb he found while on a diplomatic mission to Antigris.

In this innocent form they are harmless. They even smell sweet and inviting. If they weren't so deadly when they were dried out, I might even display them in a vase on my table. Instead they're used to kill husbands who upset their wives. To slowly poison Kings who don't deserve it.

I try and keep my lunch down thinking about Xhaiden. Thinking about the Black Lace used on him still makes my stomach churn. I'm still not sure how he survived with so much of it coursing through his veins. I'm glad it didn't kill him. The though invades my mind before I can suppress it.

I move on from watering my Black Lace and move down the line of plants waiting for my tender loving care. I water them until the water soaks through the bottom of the pots and move onto the next one. When I move onto the shelf where I keep my sick and diseased plants, I notice something peculiar. Half my plants look healthy. After almost a week of being away from them I expected them to all be dead.

As if the Goddess above wanted to answer my question as soon as possible someone walked in the doors. Aryn. He was blissfully unaware of my presence as he walked towards a shelf full of gardening tools. He was humming to himself while pulling on a pair of gardening gloves. When he walked over to the plant closest to him, he froze. Eyes wide, he reached into the pot and touched the moist soil. He rubbed his pointer finger and thumb together.

"I've already watered them if thats what your here to do."

Aryn's head snaps to me so fast I'm surprised he doesn't break his neck. "Madame Jade..." His voice cracks and his cheeks redden.

"Have you been tending to my plants?" I ask flourishing my hand at all the greenery around us.

He straightens his back so he's not hunched over the plant anymore. "I- Yes ma'am..." He says truthfully.

I turn towards the shelf of diseased plants and point. "How did you heal them?" I ask.

His eyes widen once again. He's obviously surprised by my question. Judging by his response; I'm sure he though I was going to scold him.

"Oh... Uhhh..." He takes a step but steps back awkwardly. Then steps forward again. One step. Two steps. Then proceeds to move past me towards the shelf.