Chapter Two

"Damn it Rain..." I curse. His wounds have been bleeding profusely for far two long. Any longer and he wouldn't have been able to bring a spoon to his lips. "You're going to have to rest for the next few days. Three at least."

I turn and pick a few herbs here and there, putting them into a mortar and pestle. I grind them and flick my fingers over the fine powder. There are a few red sparks and the powder goes up in blue heatless flame. It burns for a few seconds before flickering out. All thats left behind is black ash. I turn back to Rain who is trying to nail me with his most intimidating glare.

"I have work to do Jade. Isn't there anything more efficient? Something that will take less time to heal."

I put a few splashes of moon flower syrup in the ash and mix it. I try to avoid eye contact, as I press the ash into his wound. "It doesn't work like that. You know that."

"You healed a dead Kitten."

I look at him out of the corner of my eye. "It wasn't dead," I emphasize. "I can't bring something back to life. Healing a human is different than healing a barely five pound kitten, Rain... Don't forget that with holistic healing, it would take you at least two weeks to fully heal from a wound like this." I pressed the ash mixture to his wound. He doesn't flinch like most would. That stare never wavers as I place a hand over the wound. Right as I am about to use my gifts, Rain speaks again.

"Look at me," I hesitate for a second before looking over. Those eyes. My Goddess. Those steely grey eyes are like raging thunderstorms. Most would look and feel the coldness of the rain soaking their skin. I see them and feel the warmth of being tucked away inside, watching the rain beat against the window. "Is there anything? Anything, that can get me on my feet right now?"

I bite down on my lip and I have use all my strength to look away from him. I can already feel my mind, battling with it's self.

"There is." He doesn't ask. It's a statement. Like he can hear my internal battle.

I sigh. "It's risky. It's Epora's flame magic. I've tried it before but there isn't much in the healer texts about it." I throw up my hands. "I'm not doing it." I say with finality.

"We're at war. I don't have time to be laying around in bed!" Rain grabs my wrist. "Please Jade. I need to be ready for a fight."

I squeeze my eyes shut. Fire. It's such risky magic. I've always avoided the use of it. My mentor–the previous (and dead) healing mage of Nosswe–wasn't blessed with it. He told me the Goddess of healing–Goddess Epora–blessed very few healers with it. Since he didn't have the gift himself, he couldn't train me. It was something he told me to avoid. I only practiced after he died, when I could do so in peace.

I groaned a frustrated groan. Rain looked at me with pleading eyes.

"I can't..." I tried to deny him again. "I could kill you! I've only ever tried on pig carcasses and every time they've gone up in flames! I don't even know how this type of magic works."

"Please try," He stroked his thumb over the top of my hand. A shiver of sparks shot up my arm

I don't remember the last time I was touched so...

Gently.

"I need to be able to protect my kingdom," He looked down at my hand. He ran his thumb over a small scar than ran over the top of my middle finger of my right hand. A scar he gave me when we were younger. "I need to be able protect the people I care for..." He looked up at me again. "Do it. I don't care how dangerous it might be."

I tried. I really tried to say no. But I couldn't. I also really tried to convince myself it was solely because he was my king giving me a direct command.