“Fifi” I let out softly.

She looks at me and forces a smile that turns out to look broken.

“Fifi, what's the matter?” I move closer, kneeling in front of her.

She shakes her head.

“Nothing. I accidentally sniffed some gardenia around here and my allergies are acting up.”

“Try again Soph. And with the truth this time” I bust out her lie.

Her brows furrow and she dabs at her eyes.

“They didn't mean what they said—”

“Who said what and why?” I cut her off, praying it wasn't an attack on me gone wrong.

“Some of Reid's friends. One girl in particular... showing off a lot of cleavage...”

Pamela.

“What did she say?”

Sophie shakes her head.

“Nothing. Don't worry.”

“Sophie Elizabeth Mason, you are crying in a corner of the same garden where the party you've been most excited about is happening” I state, “Don't make me use force to get it out of you.”

She sniffs.

“She commented on my... skin.”

My stomach churns in anger.

“What about your skin, Fifi?”

She shrugged.

“Nothing but the obvious. She stated facts. I'm Albino Lee. She just pointed that out. I don't even know why I'm being emotional over this shit” she rolls her red-rimmed eyes.

Her entire face was red.

“That's all she said?”

Sophie lets out a shaky breath and meets my eyes, hers pooling with tears again.

“She might have said something inappropriate about my size. And I know she only meant it as a joke but it reminded me of all the mean things the kids at school used to say about my body and... you know how hard that was for me and...”

I push up on my knees and press her face into my chest, doing my best to get my arms to wrap all around her.

“It's okay, Fifi. It's okay” I whisper.

Oh, it's not okay.

She sniffs. It takes a while of hugs and whispers to get her to calm down.

“Where's Bonita?” I ask when I'm sure the crying is over.

Sophie sniffs.

“I'm not sure.”

I sigh and nod.

“Okay. Let's go get you some—”

“Oh Lee your dress!” she exclaims. “What happened?”

“Even on this important occasion, I'm a clutz” I play it off.

She chuckles and I stand up, my legs aching from the uncomfortable sitting position I've been in for over an hour. I hold my hand to my best friend.

“Let's go get you some water hm?”

She nods and takes my hands, her clutch pressing into my hand as she grips on tightly to stand. The moment she's up on her feet, something falls out of her clutch.

“Here I got—” I freeze when I pick up the bottle. “Fifi, what is this?”

She sucks in a loud breath.