On a Night Like Tonight (Alex Scott)

Retirement. A word that had been playing on your mind for a the past 12 months. After Australia, Team GB went on to win gold in the Olympics and it left only one trophy missing from your cabinet. The World Cup.

2027, Brazil. It was the day that you gave the fans the thing you promised 4 years ago. You lead your team to their first World Cup star and did so by beating the United States on penalties.

Unlike last year Alex was pitch side with Fara eagerly waiting for you to come over and when you did she welcomed you like the champion you now were or at least she gave you the PG version given you were live on TV.

You were overcome with emotion as Alex held you in her arms. To the outside world the tears you were clearly shedding were that of happiness but between you and Alex you knew they were sad tears too.

The celebration awaiting you back in England was unlike anything you could have imagined. It put the euros one to shame. The whole country showed up to celebrate you and you made sure to savour every moment.

Each player had their turn on the microphone and the fans loved it but when it was your turn to speak the fans took one look at your face and went silent. You could hear a pin drop in Trafalgar Square.

"You all know I hate being a bench warmer and I don't want to be one of those players the play long after their time is up. It has been my greatest honour being your captain for over ten years but it is time that I pass on the torch and hang the boots up"

It was announced the following day that England's match against Germany at Wembley in one month's time would be you final game in an England shirt. The match sold out in minutes and it set the perfect scene for your send off.

The days leading up to it was hectic, you barely had a second to yourself and most of all it was extremely overwhelming. You questioned if you had made the right decision. You were still playing world class football, why stop now? Your question was answered one night at St George's Park. It was the night before your final game and the entire team could tell you were having an hard time. It's the reason Sarina allowed Alex to stay in your room even though it was against the rules.

"I don't think I can do it"

Alex looked up from where she was laying on your chest.

"Can't or don't want to?"

"Football is all I've ever known Al, I'm not sure I can give it up"

"You're not retiring completely. In a week's time you will be back at Cobham with Chelsea"

"I'm going to be home a lot more"

"You make it sound like a bad thing. Remember the reason that made you consider retiring in the first place?"

It was a night you remember well. You and Alex spent over an hour talking about the future and what it could look like. You got so caught up in the hypotheticals that reality became disappointing. It made you want to skip the next few years so that you could start the next chapter of your life, the one where being captain was no longer the highest responsibility you had.

You feel asleep that night dreaming of the future and when you woke up you were ready to say goodbye to the team that you loved so much.

It was a bitter sweet feeling as the final whistle was blown. The entire England team, both the players on the bench and on the pitch, came running to you. It that moment you felt loved and appreciated. It was a moment that you would remember for the rest of your life. As you take a lap around the field you try to take in as much as you can.

"You know you don't have to retire" Leah appears by your side.

"It's my time. I have loved playing for this team and every time I wear this badge it is a great honour but this is my final curtain call Leah, my swan song" You pull the blonde into your side and kiss the side of her head.