Sam and Henry

Joel, Ellie, and Maeve had moved to an abandoned storefront, with newspaper covering the windows. 

Joel peeked outside as the rumbling sound of trucks and angry citizens of Kansas City stormed the streets. 

These people were looking for them, and it was only a matter of time before they found them. 

Maeve sat next to Ellie on the floor, away from the windows view. Although she had tried, Maeve couldn't quell her shaky hands from the previous events that had unfolded. 

She used to get panic attacks avidly back when she was younger, but she hadn't had one that severe in awhile. 

Ellie looked down, noticing the slight tremble in the younger girls hand. She gently grabbed it, giving Maeve a look of reassurance, although the previous events rocked her as well. 

Maeve flinched slightly as she felt the contact, but was appreciative of it nonetheless. 

Ellie spoke, "They're not FEDRA, and they're not Fireflies, so who are they?" She asked Joel. 

"People." He replied simply. 

"Are we okay in here?" Ellie continued. 

"For a little bit, maybe. Looks like they're checkin' out apartment buildings first." Joel explained before shaking his head.

"But they'll be coming through these places soon enough."

Ellie stood from her spot next to Maeve to peek out the window herself.

"There's a really tall building four blocks away." She observed. 

"Yeah, saw it." Joel responded as he sat down on one of the abandoned booths. 

"So that's the one?" Ellie asked.

"As soon as we don't hear a truck, we move. Fast as we can." Joel layed out the plan. 

Ellie sat back down next to Maeve, hurting at the sight of the still open gash on her forehead. 

"Are you okay?" Ellie directed her question towards Joel, knowing that he had almost been strangled back in the crash. 

Maeve noticed Joel's unease. People didn't care for him much, this was new to him. 

"I'm all right." 

"Are you all right?" He then asked back towards Ellie first. 

"Yeah." Ellie replied simply.

"And you?" Joel redirected his attention towards Maeve.

Maeve simply nodded. 

Joel sighed as he recognized the scrappy gash on her forehead. 

He slowly got up, wet a rag from his pocket, and walked over to Maeve. 

"Gotta clean this up before it gets infected." He spoke quietly as he bent down to her level. 

Joel began to gently wipe the wound, watching Maeve's face contort in discomfort. 

Maeve could feel herself getting attached as she watched his face of concentration. Concentrating on her. Caring for her. She couldn't let this happen. 

After a couple seconds, Maeve grabbed the rag. 

"I can do it." She declared.

Joel looked taken aback a bit, yet surrendered back to his seat at the booth. 

As he watched Maeve take care of her cut, he couldn't help but feel guilty? As though it was his fault that she was injured. 

He spoke up, "Thing is, is I didn't hear that guy coming, and you shouldn't of had to... you know?"