The Great Escape

The group of 4 began their escape as they walked through the rainy streets of the QZ.

Maeve and Ellie both had their hoodies up, preventing them from being noticed.

As they passed by FEDRA agents, Ellie pulled her hood closer to her face as she stepped towards Maeve's side, cutting off the agents view of her. 

They then entered into an old apartment building. 

Tess unlocked the doors, allowing the two girls to enter. 

"Give us a minute, alright?" Tess spoke as she turned to leave the room.

"What the fuck?" Ellie yelled in protest as the door was slammed in her face.

Maeve flinched at the sound.

She could hear the two adults through the thin walls as Joel spoke,

"So what's the plan?"

"There's not a lot of options. There's the short way or the long way." Tess answered.

Maeve turned her attention away from them as she saw Ellie begin to rummage through stuff in the apartment.

Maeve was quick to take a look around herself, noticing the bottle of alcohol and small baggie filled with some type of residue.

She was broken from her investigation as Ellie called her over, "Hey Mae, come check it, looks like some type of code." She said as she held an old radio hits book.

Maeve eyed the paper inside, not even noticing the use of the new nickname, as it read, '60s - nothing in, 70s - new stock, and 80s - X.'

"It's for smuggling." Maeve spoke up, still not fond that these people were the ones currently in charge of her life. 

That's when Joel came through the door, an annoyed looked at his face. 

"So, whos Bill and Frank?" Ellie questioned, ignoring the man's obvious annoyance.

That's when he saw Ellie holding the radio book in her hands, a confused glare taking over his features.

"The radio's a smuggling code, right?" She continued, eyeing Maeve.

"'60s songs, they don't have anything new, '70s, they got new stuff. What's '80s?" She finished as Joel got up to grab the book from her, throwing down onto the table as Ellie held her arms up in defense.

Joel then went back over to the couch, laying down, before Ellie spoke up again.

"What are you doing?" She asked as Maeve had taken a seat at the kitchen table, inspecting the gadgets that were sprawled out.

"Killin' time." He replied nonchalantly.

"Well, what are we supposed to do?" Ellie kept going.

"I'm sure you'll both figure that out. Seems like your friend has already found something to keep her occupied." He said, having seen Maeve fiddling with the gadgets.

He head popped up at the mention of her presence, quickly drawing her hands away from the table, feeling slightly embarrassed.

Ellie looked towards her, giving her a reassuring nod at the mans bad mood.

Ellie rolled her eyes before grabbing the radio book and heading to the opposite corner of the room to sit in the chair next to the window. 

"Your watch is broken." Ellie finalized before settling down.

Maeve looked towards Joel after the comment, seeing the slight look of contemplation that plagued his features. 

A feature she had grown accustomed to herself. A feature of remembrance.