Left Behind

As they continued to walk the streets of Boston, Tess led the group, pacing herself a couple yards in front of Maeve, Ellie, and Tess. 

Joel was still confused by the sudden shift in behavior as he looked towards Tess with a furrowed brow. 

He then glanced over towards Ellie and Maeve as they walked, looking at the bandage that covered Ellie's arm and Maeve's hand.

It was too good to be true. He kept thinking.

After a short trek, they reached the State House.

The group of four was now posted up behind an abandoned car, scoping out the scene. 

It seemed awfully quiet.

"Where the fuck are they?" Tess said, growing more impatient by the minute.

The truck that Maeve and Ellie were supposed to be transported in was empty.

Joel took a second before making his way towards the truck to check it out himself. 

Maeve dreaded the idea of what would happen if the plan fell through. Especially after everything they had just gone through to get here. 

Joel swung the heavy door of the truck open, revealing no one inside.

He did however, notice the blood on the seats and side of the truck. 

"Stay back." He said to Tess before moving around to the other side of the truck.

 As he turned the corner, he was met with the sight of a deceased Firefly, covered with somewhat fresh bullet wounds. 

Joel didn't like the direction this was headed as he turned to the back of the truck. 

He opened the cargo hold of the truck, and was shocked to see that it was completely empty.

The promise of the fueled up truck, the supplies, all of it, was gone.

Tess then came around the corner with Ellie and Maeve tailing behind. 

"Joel? What the fuck is going on?" She said with the same impatient tone from earlier. 

"I don't know." He replied.

Maeve then turned and caught sight of a trail of blood, leading towards the entrance of the State House.

She turned to Ellie, gently tapping her shoulder to get her attention as Ellie immediately noticed the same thing. 

"They went inside." She said, catching the attention of the two adults. 

"Come on." Tess seemed fed up at this point as she grabbed Ellie and Maeve by the arm, quickly guiding them inside of the building.

"Tess." Joel said as he wasn't liking how abrupt she was being.

"Come on." Tess continued, leading the girls closer to the building. 

Maeve turned back towards Joel with a confused expression on her face. 

"Tess!" He yelled again, following them into the building. 

As she opened the door, she shoved Ellie and Maeve through, anticipating that she could hand off the girls quickly to the Fireflies. 

Although Maeve's fear had been confirmed as they entered the main area where the Fireflies, that were supposed to transport them across the country, laid dead.

"Holy shit." Ellie breathed. 

"No." Maeve said, not knowing what they would do now.

"Jesus." Joel muttered as he walked up to the scene.