Chapter 2 - The Interview

EDITED
TW - Gagging, spoiled food

—————————————————————————

I followed Sammy to his office, constantly looking around. I felt as if... something.. was watching me as we walked through the narrow halls.

The tiled walls were a dirty greenish grey, discolored with age. All of the children's drawings that were mounted on the walls torn and damaged, yet still intact.

He suddenly stopped, causing me to almost run into him.

He pulled out a set of keys, quickly unlocking the door before me and holding it open with a smile.

I quietly thank him and walk through the doorway. There was a simple wooden desk, cluttered with pens and papers. A small outdated computer sat on the desk next to a half-empty cup of coffee. The smell of mildew and caffeine filled my nose, it was the strongest scent in this room.

There was an office chair placed behind the desk and a smaller chair in front of it. I sat down in the chair as he closed the door, walking around the desk and sitting down.

"So, first question, why do you want to work here?" He asked politely.

I racked my brain for a good answer. "Well.. my dad messaged me earlier and told me about this job." My leg bounced anxiously as I tapped my fingers in a rhythmic motion in my lap. "I recently got fired from my last job because I kept getting distracted and I really need money for rent, my brother has been covering it.." I answered honestly, mentally patting myself on the back for not stuttering.

He hummed in thought, "Oh? What did you work as?"

"I-I was a baker for a pastry at the edge of town. I worked really hard, but I got distracted due to some personal reasons."

The blonde male nodded in understanding, a sympathetic look on his face. "Well, this is a night guard position, it'll be much different from a bakery job. Have you ever worked at a job like this?"

I shook my head "No, not really, only had to kick people out who were causing a ruckus in the shop."

He smiled and typed on the computer. "Got it. Are you able to stay up for long durations of time?"

I nodded. I typically don't get any sleep anyways.

"One last question, are you able to learn from someone instructing you over a phone?" He tilted his head curiously, his words sliding off his tongue.

I shrugged "It really depends on how difficult the task is, but I'm sure it won't be too bad."

He smiled and started to type something in "well, those are all my questions! I do need to do a quick screening, so can you please state your full name for me?"

I nodded "Middle name too?"

"First and last name is just fine." He replied

"Alright, it's Y/N L/N." I was hopeful for this job. I knew he wouldn't find any history there as I don't really do anything illegal anymore, only when I was under 18, so it wouldn't have been put on a permanent record if I was caught.