“You're having sex with her?”

“That's personal, Anika.”

“It's not exactly personal as she openly admitted to you two doing it on the couch!” she whisper-yells. “You wouldn't even embrace the idea of touching me in the shower and now you have sex in the couch and leave your imprints—”

“It's our house, is it not Anika? And like I've told you time without number, people change.”

“No, you've changed. Lee has changed you” she says more softly and picks up her water.

“What a quaint space” I hear my father's voice.

“Anika dear” my mother's voice floods into the room. “I thought I heard my ideal daughter-in-law's voice.”

My eyes move to Aileen who is lurking behind them.

“Mom, Dad, welcome” I greet, kissing my mother's cheek as she separates Anika from the hug they're sharing.

“Getting through the traffic to this side of the city is horrible. Remind me to never come down here,” my mother complains.

“Not now dear” my father says, looking around the living room.

I see the rare twinkle in his eyes. He was obviously awestruck at something.

The house?

I’d seen this look so many times before... only on rare occasions though. It was hard to get this twinkle to set in his eyes. So if he had this in my house, it was definitely a good thing.

“Dad” I smile and he looks away from the painting Lee and I had done on a part of the wall.

“That is some painting you're working on” he chuckles, opening his arms to me.

I chuckle back and hug him. Aileen flashes me a little smile behind his back.

“Where are the others?” I ask.

“Running late” my father replies. “Your niece couldn't find the perfect shoes but they should be here soon.”

Maeve.

“And Clay? Hernan isn't here either.”

“Your cousin has some quick business to attend to and Hernan went with him to pick up a housewarming gift for you.”

I chuckle.

“Does your air conditioning not work?” my mother's voice rings out, and like a secateur, rips Aileen's fully bloomed smile off.

“Oh, I'm sorry. I'll go turn it down” she apologises, hurrying off.

My mother gives me a look.

“Let's go home, my sweet boy” she sighs dramatically. “That woman isn't good enough for you.”

“Mom—”

“Would you like anything to drink?” Aileen's voice comes back.

“My water's still fine” Anika replies.

My mother frowns at Anika.

“Is it even room temperature, dear? And did you see where she got the glass from or if she washed it right? How did she handle it?” she asks, plucking the glass away from Anika with a disgusted face. “Don't drink that, please Nikki dear. I'd hate for you to go down with typhoid or something worse” she eyes Aileen.

“Mom,” I say firmly.

She eyes Aileen who is looking away at nothing in particular.

“What?” my mother frowns at me. “Is it a crime to be concerned about my health?”