Chapter 15: The numbing process

Sparkles looks in the direction where the branches were crunching and sees Spike coming towards her. She tries to wipe the tears away but she is too late he locks eyes on her and seems concerned. "What's wrong Sparkles? Did Vlad hurt you?" Spike says looking in the direction of the willow tree.

"I hurt him," Sparkles says quivering.

"I am sure you didn't mean to," Spike says.

"You are not understanding I told him I loved him and then I broke up with him. I cannot believe I did that all in one night. I didn't know it needed to end until I kissed him. Spike I cannot keep stringing him along hoping that maybe it could work. We both needed to separate from one another," Sparkles says sobbing. Spike pulls her into his chest hugging her tightly.

"That had to be a painful decision. Is there anything I can do for you?" Spike asks releasing her gently.

"I know this is a lot to ask but take care of him for me. He drinks blood of animals and eats berries along with some herbs and veggies. If he runs out of sunscreen get him some more he doesn't usually use that much since he stays within the branches of the willow tree. Also, I am gonna want to be alone for a while but if my parents or brothers ask I am with you okay?" Sparkles asks glumly.

"Sure thing but I won't let you be alone too long just while I take care of Vlad. I want you to find some bit of happiness. I am not saying move on and love me but try to bring that smile back is all," Spike says.

"You're a gem Spike and okay I can give it a try," Sparkles says shyly with a small smile.

"Go on home the sun is starting to come up get some sleep I will come by tomorrow night," Spike says. She nods, hugs him goodbye and trots away.

Once she is home she heads upstairs and cries silently into her pillow and replays every moment she has had with Vlad since she met him.

Days turn into weeks and weeks into months and Sparkles has gone from crying to anger then to nothing. She has felt numb for several months now. Today is her 20th birthday and after this she has a year before she has to be married.

"Sparkles come on downstairs everyone is waiting for you,"Sparkles hears her mom shout.

"Give me a few more minutes to wake up and get ready mom," Sparkles grumbles back annoyed that her mom won't leave her alone. She knows her mom does not know everything but she has told her that a friend of hers she had to let go because their friendship was to hard on her with everything else on her plate now that she is an adult.

Sparkles sits up in her bed slowly and rubs her eyes while yawning. Then she gets up and finds a blue dress with a back bow tied in the back and cap sleeves. She slips on a pair a black high heels then heads to her vanity. She puts on red lipstick and does a Smokey eye for eyeshadow and then applies foundation and light pink blush. She gives herself one last glance in the mirror and thinks her mind Vlad would have loved seeing me like this. He would love seeing me again in general. She frowns then shakes her head to gain composure. She then heads out the door and down the stairs feeling nothing knowing she cannot have him anymore and this is something she has done her best to get used to.