Chapter 60 - One More Push

"The attack groups from the First, Second, and Fourth Fleets each targeted and attacked three groups of enemy mobile units, destroying four regular carriers and five light carriers, and destroying two cruisers and twenty-four destroyers. Moreover, the attacking squadrons confronted the enemy's new type of fighter aircraft, likely the rumored F6F Hellcat, and shot down 147 of them. Furthermore, the fighter cover units, which intercepted approximately 400 enemy attack aircraft, shot down the majority of them. Additionally, the attack units of the Third Fleet, which targeted the Midway base, reported shooting down 68 enemy fighters. Simultaneously, they thoroughly destroyed the airfield and related facilities, rendering the base unusable for the next one to two days."

While the aviation staff officer tried to deliver the battle results calmly, excitement was evident in his voice. On the other hand, Vice Admiral Ozawa remained composed, nodding slightly and urging him to continue.

"Next, let's discuss our losses. The attack units from the First, Second, and Fourth Fleets, which attacked the enemy mobile task force, lost 17 Shiden and 44 Tenzan. The fighter cover units lost 25 Shiden. However, thanks to the determined effort of the fighter cover units, our fleet suffered no losses. Additionally, the Third Fleet, responsible for the attack on Midway, incurred relatively minor losses, with only 11 Shiden and 7 Tenzan not returning."

If one believed the battle results presented by the aviation staff, the success of the operation was undeniable. The 168 Shiden and 216 Tenzan launched from the First, Second, and Fourth Fleets accomplished a perfect job, sinking every single core strength aircraft carrier of the American fleet. Especially noteworthy was the remarkable success of the First Fleet, which, with twice the number of Tenzan compared to the Second and Fourth Fleets, struck the central group of the enemy mobile task force. They shot down 108 aircraft, destroying not only two regular aircraft carriers and one light carrier but also all the escort cruisers and destroyers. As a result, the vanguard battleship force had no choice but to dispatch half of the destroyers for the rescue of the central group's survivors.

However, significant successes also came with substantial losses. Particularly, despite the attack units from the First, Second, and Fourth Fleets attacking the enemy mobile task force under complete air superiority, they suffered over 20% non-returning aircraft. Each of these losses involved veteran pilots flying aircraft more valuable than jewels.

"What is the enemy fleet's current situation, and how many Tenzan are ready for immediate use?" Ozawa's direct inquiry prompted the navigation staff to speak first, followed by the aviation staff.

"The enemy fleet, consisting of four groups, remains in the area where they were all discovered. Presumably, since all their carriers were sunk, and many destroyers were destroyed, rescue operations are likely hindered."

"As for Tenzan ready for immediate use, the First Fleet has 43, the Second Fleet has 20, and the Fourth Fleet has 21. Additionally, the Third Fleet, which was responsible for the attack on Midway base, has 64 Tenzan available."

While the Tenzan from the attack units of the First, Second, and Fourth Fleets, all suffered a sharp decline in immediately usable aircraft, the Tenzan from the Third Fleet maintained nearly 60% readiness. Although the 148 available Tenzan constituted a significant force, the number of remaining enemy ships was still too high. Particularly, the battleships, with their excellent anti-aircraft capabilities, all remained undamaged. To deal with them decisively, an increase in firepower was necessary. Recognizing this, Ozawa decided to allocate all available resources to the attack.

"Load all Tenzan with torpedoes, leave a squadron of Shiden for direct cover on each carrier, and send out the rest of the aircraft equipped with bombs. Instruct the Shiden to focus on cruisers and destroyers, while the Tenzan target exclusively battleships. Furthermore, attach one destroyer squadron to each cruiser squadron in every fleet and order them to charge the enemy fleet. Let's settle this in one decisive blow."

Ozawa's resolute orders spurred the staff into action. The enemy's surface strike force was still formidable, particularly the six new battleships resembling the North Carolina and South Dakota classes, posing a significant threat. Even if the Nagato and Fusō classes were still battleships, victory would be impossible, let alone a straightforward confrontation. Moreover, with cruisers and destroyers, there was no chance, and they would likely be overwhelmed unilaterally.

"But it's no longer the era of battleships."

Ozawa and his staff were already convinced of this fact. That's why they had expended considerable resources and efforts to convert the Fusō-class and Nagato-class, symbols of the Imperial Navy beloved by the nation for many years, from 36-centimeter guns to 41-centimeter guns specifically for this purpose.

And the ongoing battle had already proven that this decision was correct. Victory was just one step away.