Chapter 23 - B5N Torpedo Bomber

The intense anti-aircraft barrage that was once relentless has now become sporadic, and the orderly circular formation is no longer discernible. Despite significant sacrifices, the D3A dive bombers successfully destroyed the escort vessels reinforcing the outer perimeter of the American aircraft carrier. Commander of the carrier air group and leader of the Zuikaku torpedo bomber squadron, Lieutenant Commander Shimazaki, expressed gratitude to the Zero fighters that flawlessly protected them so far, as well as to the dive bombers that opened a breakthrough amid fierce anti-aircraft fire. He then issued orders to attack the American aircraft carrier.

Having lost the escorts, the 36 torpedo bombers of the Shōkaku and Zuikaku air groups split into two groups and approached the exposed carrier like creeping over the sea surface. Shimazaki, leading the 18 aircraft of the Zuikaku unit, maneuvered through the burning cruisers and destroyers, steadily observing the growing silhouette of the carrier. The bridge and the smokestack were separate, and the stack was disproportionately large, almost like a joke. Without a doubt, it's a Lexington-class aircraft carrier. Rumored to be a modified battlecruiser, it was cruising at a speed that suggested it may surpass the Zuikaku in both volume and possibly equal legs.

The anti-aircraft weaponry it boasted seemed formidable, with flashing lights from the sides repeating at an astonishing speed. The volume of bullets shooting towards them was extraordinary, and stray rounds hitting the sea surface created small water spouts everywhere. However, due to the high-speed evasive maneuvers, the accuracy of the shots seemed compromised, and so far, no aircraft have been shot down.

The targeted Lexington-class aircraft carrier turned its bow toward them to minimize the target area. For the Shōkaku air group approaching from the opposite direction, the Lexington-class seemed to be an unintentionally vulnerable target, exposing its side. Slightly rolling his aircraft to the left, Shimazaki executed a maneuver to neutralize the Lexington-class carrier's turning. While closing the distance, he realized that the enemy's gunfire was gradually becoming more accurate. In an instant, he feared that some planes might be shot down before reaching the firing point, and at that moment, one of his wingmen to the right exploded. It might be a large-caliber shell, machine gun bullets, or unfortunate direct hits from anti-aircraft shells.

Despite the thoughts of the fallen subordinate lingering in his mind, Shimazaki approached the targeted Lexington-class aircraft carrier closely. Judging that the optimal distance had been reached, he simultaneously dropped the deadly Type 91 aerial torpedoes, followed by the surviving wingmen. Slipping his B5N just past the bow of the Lexington-class, Shimazaki attempted to escape.

Having likely completed the torpedo drop, the front view revealed the B5N torpedo bombers of the Shōkaku air group attempting to disengage.

Praying for no mid-air collisions, Shimazaki, having escaped the effective range of enemy anti-aircraft weapons, switched from piloting to commanding, gazing down at the Lexington-class. Some planes were shot down before releasing their torpedoes, but still, more than thirty torpedoes were likely advancing underwater to pierce the side of the Lexington-class. Before long, splashes began to rise one after another on both sides of the enemy carrier.

"One, two, three, five, ten..."

In the end, there were a total of twelve water columns. After all the water spouts disappeared, the Lexington-class aircraft carrier began to be engulfed in flames and smoke. Receiving twelve torpedoes in a short period, even the formidable Lexington-class, with its massive size, would undoubtedly be beyond salvation. When Shimazaki judged the sinking to be certain, a battle report came from the Kamikaku torpedo bomber leader, who had attacked the Yorktown-class aircraft carrier.

"Ten torpedoes hit, sinking imminent."

Perhaps due to the smaller target size, the number of hits was fewer compared to the Lexington-class, but it was still more than enough for a fatal blow. Two aircraft carriers sunk, and numerous cruisers and destroyers were destroyed.

Shimazaki felt satisfied with the commendable results of his debut in battle. However, at the same time, he had a sensation as if a small bone was stuck in his throat. Not a single enemy fighter was seen in the airspace above the American task force. And what this meant was understood not only by Shimazaki but by everyone on board here.

"The enemy has directed all available planes to the attack."

According to the preliminary intelligence, the number of planes carried by American carriers per ship was equivalent to or even potentially exceeding that of Japanese regular carriers such as the Sōryū and Shōkaku classes. If that were the case, at least 100 planes, and possibly close to 150, could be currently attacking the Third Fleet.

"Let's leave this to the combat air patrols."

Shimazaki sent his thoughts to the 96 Zero fighters and their pilots, who were protecting the airspace above the friendly carriers.