Chapter 26 - Dauntless

The Zero fighters of the first interception group, which had beaten their American rivals such as the F4F Wildcat and F2A Buffalo, and the second group which had shot down TBD Devastator torpedo bombers effortlessly, were not content with the afterglow of victory and soon climbed to catch the enemy formation far overhead.

Guided by air traffic control instructions, the Zero fighter pilots, ready for interception, visually confirmed around 80 enemy planes. Given the discovery of two enemy carriers, that number seemed reasonable. However, contrary to their assumptions, the commander of the American carrier task force launched a full-scale attack. While they were focused on low-altitude enemies, dozens of planes charged at high altitudes. Since the earlier engagement targeted fighters and torpedo bombers, the enemy planes at high altitudes were likely dive bombers.

The Zero fighter, equipped with the high-displacement Kinsei engine and known for its lightness among carrier-based fighters of the time, had superior climbing ability. However, the altitude of the first interception wave dropped due to dogfights between fighters, and the second wave, aiming for torpedo bombers, had lowered their altitude to just above the sea surface. Tracking the enemy aircraft advancing towards the friendly fleet, and rapidly climbing into the effective range of machine guns within a short period, seemed challenging despite the climbing performance of the Zero. Considering the distance from the combat zone to the fleet, the enemy aircraft overhead would likely make contact with the Third Fleet in about ten minutes. In the limited reaction time, the Zero fighter pilots continued to desperately climb. Not giving up. That was their mission.

Overhead the Zero fighter squadron, 18 bombers and 9 reconnaissance-bombers launched from the Enterprise, along with the same number launched from the Lexington, were flying. All aircraft were state-of-the-art SBD Dauntless dive bombers, each carrying a 1.000-pound bomb. What surprised the SBD crews was the exceptional climbing ability of the Zero, especially from sea level. While outstanding at medium to high altitudes, its ascent from sea level surpassed other carrier-based fighters. The SBD crews, considering the F4F and F2A as benchmarks, initially did not expect to be detected by the Japanese fleet before reaching it. However, the Zero closed the distance surprisingly quickly. In response, the SBDs accelerated as if overheating was not a concern, ignoring engine temperature and return fuel.

In such a situation, the Japanese fleet, consisting of two groups, appeared in the sight of both the SBD and Zero fighter pilots. There were no carriers in the forward fleet, and the SBDs continued their straight course, ignoring them. Their target was solely the carriers.

As the American attack squadron commander, who had the Japanese mobile fleet in sight and confirmed its composition, ordered the attack, the Zero fighters, which had finally reached the same altitude, engaged the rear of the Lexington bombing and reconnaissance-bombing squadrons almost simultaneously. The Zero fighters brandished their 12,7 mm machine guns from a distance to intimidate the SBDs. They did not expect to shoot them down at this point. At this stage, disrupting accurate bombing was more important than shooting down. If the SBDs dropped their bombs due to the scare of the 12,7 mm bullets, it would be a big gain.

However, the SBDs, whether aware or unaware of the Zero fighters' intentions, continued their advance toward the carrier task force. On the other hand, realizing that intimidation was ineffective, the Zero fighters shifted their focus from bomb prevention to shooting down and closed in on the SBDs. The Lexington bombing and reconnaissance-bombing squadrons were engulfed by the swarm of Zero fighters. Facing the approaching Zero fighters from the rear, the SBDs of the Lexington squadrons turned their rear-firing machine guns for a counterattack. However, the Zero fighters effortlessly evaded their gunfire and unleashed a shower of 12,7 mm bullets towards the SBDs. Despite being a degraded version of the Browning machine guns used by the US military, the 12,7 mm bullets possessed a power that distinguished them from the traditional 7,7 mm bullets. Even the advanced SBDs couldn't withstand the onslaught of the powerful 12,7 mm bullets from numerous Zero fighters. The Lexington bombing and reconnaissance-bombing squadrons, surrounded by numerous Zero fighters, were annihilated in a short period.

Furthermore, some Zero fighters, undeterred by the incendiary projectiles launched from the friendly ships below, continued their pursuit to capture the Enterprise squadron. Just as the Zero fighters were about to lock their machine guns onto the target, the SBDs in front of them initiated a dive.