Chapter 32 - Destroyer vs Destroyer

The dive bombing of the D3As and the torpedo attacks by the B5Ns caused a breach in the left flank of the Pacific Fleet. All four ships of the Brooklyn-class light cruisers, whether hit by 250 kg bombs or aerial torpedoes, suffered significant reductions in combat capabilities. In particular, the two ships hit by torpedoes had their speed significantly reduced, moving forward as if crawling. Out of the eight destroyers, half of them were directly hit by the bombs, and some even emitted thick smoke and stopped on the open sea.

Taking advantage of this opportunity, four Mogami-class heavy cruisers and twelve Kagerō-class destroyers surged towards the Pacific Fleet at speeds exceeding 30 knots. On the other hand, the Pacific Fleet, still unharmed on the right flank, mobilized four heavy cruisers and eight destroyers to counter this assault. The four American destroyers on the unscathed left flank, having avoided attacks from dive and torpedo bombers, delegated the task of intercepting the Japanese fleet to the right flank units. They engaged in firefighting support for damaged companion ships, rescuing thrown-overboard survivors, and providing anti-submarine protection for the exposed battleships.

Among the swift vessels of both Japan and the US, the first to make a move were the twelve Kagerō destroyers. Firing their long-barreled 10 cm guns from a distance, they closed in rapidly. When the distance with the American destroyers closed to 7.000 meters, all ships simultaneously launched all torpedoes from their two sets of 53 cm six-tube torpedo launchers. In a sense, it was a bold tactic. However, some were skeptical about using valuable torpedoes against smaller targets like destroyers. Whether aviation or torpedo specialists, if possible, they preferred targeting larger vessels like battleships or aircraft carriers. Nevertheless, the commander of the 16th Destroyer Division, in charge of the three destroyers, ignored such concerns and ordered the strict launch of all torpedoes.

The torpedoes launched towards the American destroyers were all the trump cards for the Imperial Navy, the Type 93 oxygen torpedoes. With a diameter of 53 cm, these torpedoes, using oxygen as an oxidizer instead of air, could travel up to 9.000 meters at 49 knots, and with a reduced speed of 45 knots, they could cover 1.200 meters. While having an extensive range, oxygen torpedoes left almost no wake, making them difficult to spot. The crew of the American destroyers were unaware of the existence of these oxygen torpedoes.

On one side, a total of 144 stealthy torpedoes, 72 on each side, advanced like casting a net towards the eight American destroyers. The distance of 7.000 meters seemed a bit too far for torpedo attacks. Out of the 144 torpedoes fired, only four managed to hit the targets, which showed a slightly less than 3% hit rate. Although disappointing for torpedo experts like the commander of the 16th Destroyer Division, it was still a decent performance. However, the gunners on the destroyers saw it differently. They relentlessly fired their 72 main guns at the surviving American destroyers, emphasizing that torpedoes were not the only weapons on destroyers. To begin with, the essence of the Kagerō-class was not the twelve 53 cm oxygen torpedoes but the six long 10 cm guns, common knowledge among Imperial Navy destroyer crews except for torpedo specialists.

On the other hand, for the surviving four American destroyers, it was an unpleasant situation. Suddenly, half of their comrades became combat-ineffective due to torpedo hits. Considering the distance from the enemy destroyers, the perpetrator was likely a submarine or possibly mines, but laying mines in the middle of the vast ocean seemed unlikely. Logically, it could be a torpedo attack by a submarine, and not just any torpedo but one with a difficult-to-detect electric-powered torpedo with an indistinct wake. However, the crews on the American destroyers had no time to allocate more mental resources to ponder the cause of the torpedo hits. The Japanese destroyers, numbering up to twelve, had launched a direct assault on them.

On the other hand, two to four Kagerō-class destroyers formed teams and engaged in battle against the four American destroyers, taking advantage of their numerical superiority. Even the valiant American destroyers couldn't withstand against triple their numbers. With every 12,7 cm shell fired by the Americans, two to four 10 cm shells were returned in response. Fortunately, none of the ships sank due to torpedo or depth charge explosions, but the American destroyers were gradually losing combat capability due to the relentless 10 cm shell attacks.

On the other hand, even after the resistance from the surviving American destroyers ceased, the twelve Kagerō-class destroyers showed no mercy. Although the 10 cm shells were inadequate against battleships or cruisers, they were devastating against the virtually unarmored destroyers. With their superstructures destroyed and numerous holes pierced in their hulls, all four American destroyers turned into blazing torches in a short period on the open sea. The twelve Kagerōs, having witnessed this, turned their bows towards the four destroyers that had been hit by torpedoes earlier. Not a single one was going to be overlooked.