Chapter 49 - 23 cm Gun

In order to protect the damaged friendly ships, the four Northampton-class heavy cruisers, the Northampton, Chester, Louisville, and Chicago, stood in the way of the advancing Japanese surface strike force. These Northampton-class heavy cruisers possessed standard or even superior defensive capabilities for treaty cruisers. Nevertheless, their defense against the 8-inch shells of heavy cruisers was not necessarily sufficient, especially when compared to the 6-inch shells of light cruisers. Therefore, the crew of the American heavy cruisers, facing the four attacking Myōkō-class ships, wanted to take the initiative above all. Ironically, it was the Myōkō-class with all means at their disposal, such as radar firing systems, optical rangefinders, and observation planes, that took the initiative.

The American cruiser crew were unaware that the main guns of the Myōkō-class, which they believed to be the same 8-inch guns as theirs, had been upgraded to 9-inch guns through modifications. These shells weighed up to 170 kilograms. This meant a 40% increase in shell weight compared to the 8-inch shells of heavy cruisers and nearly three times the weight of the 6-inch shells of light cruisers.

The Imperial Japanese Navy, emphasizing hit count or hit rate, tolerated a reduction in the number of main gun turrets. They replaced the 20 cm guns on the Myōkō-class or Takao-class heavy cruisers, which originally had 10 turrets, with 23 cm guns, totaling eight turrets. This decision was due to the impossibility of providing armor capable of withstanding 23 cm shell impacts on the so-called 10.000-ton cruisers built under the restrictions of naval disarmament treaties. Considering the possibility of shells being repelled depending on the impact point, it was a straightforward decision to determine which type of shell, one that might be repelled or one that could penetrate the opponent regardless of the impact location, was advantageous.

The salvo fired by the Myōkō took the initiative, but it ended with just eight water columns erupting around the Northampton. Just because enemy ships are caught in the dispersion area does not guarantee hits, especially with large variations in shell trajectories over long distances. Contrary to when they straddled the enemy ship with the second salvo, there was a subtle atmosphere of confusion and disappointment mixed in the air around the bridge of the Myōkō.

"Well, things don't always go as planned," Rear Admiral Kakuta inwardly sighed, though he didn't show it in his attitude.

While the Myōkō was firing, the enemy Northampton-class heavy cruisers, with the actual flagship being the Northampton, were also exchanging gunfire in retaliation. However, despite obtaining close-range hits, they hadn't achieved a straddle. The distance of 25.000 meters was still too far, even for heavy cruisers equipped with fire control radar.

About 20 seconds after the third salvo, the fourth salvo from the Myōkō, fired at the maximum rate of fire, rained down on the Northampton. A small flash occurred near the aft of the ship, around the third turret. A few moments later, smoke billowed, obscuring the third turret of the Northampton. It was presumed that the 23 cm shell that hit near the third turret had penetrated the armor of the ship, causing some damage to the rear main turret.

On the other side, the Myōkō also took a 20 cm shell from the Northampton on the seaplane deck. Since all seaplanes were in the air and functioning as spotters, the damage wasn't significant, but it was still an unpleasant experience for the side that had been hit. Perhaps the Northampton, which had both a straddle and a hit simultaneously, was luckier today compared to the Myōkō.

"But in this engagement, we won."

Although they didn't achieve a decisive first move, Kakuta was confident. Both sides landed hits, but the enemy cruiser had 20 cm guns, while the Myōkō had 23 cm guns. Despite the increased shell weight for the heavy cruisers of the Imperial Navy, including the Myōkō-class, they maintained a firing rate of three rounds per minute, similar to the era of 20 cm guns, thanks to the automation of loading mechanisms. The firing rate of American heavy cruisers was unknown, but considering the construction years, it probably wasn't much different from that of Japanese cruisers. And, in a straightforward brawl where both sides exchanged blows, the one with superior punching power would prevail.

Kakuta's prediction was accurate. Although reduced from nine to six turrets, the 20 cm shells of the Northampton caused significant damage to the superstructure of the Myōkō. However, that was all. On the other hand, the 23ccm shells from the Myōkō easily penetrated the armor of the Northampton, causing extensive damage to vital areas. By that time, the Haguro, Nachi, and other sisters, who had slightly fallen behind the Myōkō, were demonstrating their prowess against the Chester, Louisville, and Chicago. The 6th and 7th Destroyer Divisions were gaining a clear advantage in the battle.