Chapter 53 - New Strength

The First to Fourth Fleets, upon reaching the attack launch point set in the vicinity of Midway, simultaneously began their operations.

The First Fleet, under the direct command of Vice Admiral Jisaburō Ozawa, entrusted with the overall command of the Second to Fourth Fleets, consists of six core ships: Nagato, Mutsu, Ise, Hyūga, Yamashiro, and Fusō.

The Second Fleet is a mobile task force comprising the aircraft carriers Sōryu and Hiryū and the small carriers Chitose and Chiyoda, with recently promoted Vice Admiral Tamon Yamaguchi making his debut as the fleet's commander-in-chief.

The Third Fleet is an armored carrier task force centered around four Shōkaku-class carriers, consistently commanded by Vice Admiral Torao Kuwabara since the beginning of the war.

The Fourth Fleet, a newly formed unit centered around aircraft carriers, led by Vice Admiral Kakuji Kakuta, renowned as one of the Imperial Navy's fiercest commanders, includes the carriers Unryū and Hakuryū, as well as the small carriers Mizuho and Nisshin.

Furthermore, the aircraft carried by these fleets have undergone significant changes. The Zero fighters, D3A dive bombers, and B5N torpedo bombers that played a significant role in annihilating the Pacific Fleet at the beginning of the war are no longer present. Among these, the new carrier-based fighter is noteworthy. Due to the engine replacement issue with the Experimental Type 12 carrier-based fighter, a manufacturer in charge of designing and developing the Experimental Type 15 seaplane fighter took over its production from a major manufacturer preoccupied with the development of the Experimental Type 14 land-based fighter that was originally supposed to be their responsibility. In essence, the approach and dedication from the beginning were different.

To ensure the high speed and climb rate required for an interceptor, the new fighter adopted the Kasei engine with a large displacement and was equipped with a newly developed automatic air combat flap. In addition to the name Type 3 interceptor, the Navy's first interceptor was given another name: Shiden. Despite its high wing loading, the Shiden surprisingly demonstrated good stability and stall characteristics at low speeds. Therefore, from the beginning of test flights, there were expectations that, despite being a land-based fighter, it could also be used as a carrier-based fighter.

To confirm this, reinforcements needed for landing were added to the experimental aircraft, and it was successfully landed on the wide flight deck of the Shōkaku. It was found that not only the Shōkaku-class but also the smaller Chitose-class could adequately operate the aircraft. Therefore, as a stopgap measure until the development of the Experimental Type 17 carrier-based fighter, it was hastily decided to replace the Zero fighters on aircraft carriers.

The new carrier-based attack aircraft, the Tenzan, also equipped with the same Kasei engine as the Shiden, addressed the vulnerability of the B5N to enemy fire. Relaxing the range requirements and enhancing bulletproof equipment, the Tenzan carries a payload of 1.000 kilograms, more than the previous B4Y and B5N torpedo bombers. Equipped with a new type of bomb-dropping device, it enables more flexible operations than before. Furthermore, the version of the Tenzan equipped with reconnaissance radar is expected to serve as a new eye for the fleet.

While fighters and torpedo bombers are becoming more advanced, dive bombers have disappeared from carrier air groups. This is a response to the significant losses suffered by the D3As in the battles of Wake Island and Midway. The tactic of low-speed descent, using dive brakes to approach within a few hundred meters above enemy ships, is becoming increasingly ineffective against the improving anti-air capabilities of the American fleet. This decision was made as a proactive measure.

In any case, with these new forces in place, the Combined Fleet set sail to annihilate the Pacific Fleet, while the Pacific Fleet, having completed its deployment in the vicinity of Midway, awaits the arrival of the Combined Fleet.

It is now September 1943. The curtain is about to rise on the largest and final decisive battle between Japan and the United States.

. . .

Shiden Model 21

The Experimental Type 14 land-based fighter, which was supposed to be developed by a major manufacturer designated by the Navy, underwent a change. Due to the engine modification of the Experimental Type 12 carrier-based fighter, the design team had no room for it. As a result, the task was transferred to a manufacturer in charge of the design and production of seaplanes, which was responsible for the Experimental Type 15 seaplane fighter.

The engine adopted was the high-displacement Kasei engine, and the new one installed in the Shiden had a power of 1.850 horsepower, surpassing the 40% of the Kinsei engine installed in the Zero fighter. The maximum speed of the land-based Model 11 was 625 kilometers per hour, while the carrier-based Model 21, with a strengthened tail and equipped with a landing hook, decreased to 610 kilometers due to increased weight and air resistance.

Nevertheless, compared to the new U.S. fighter, the F6F, the Shiden Model 21 is more than a ton lighter. Although the maximum speed is equivalent, the Shiden Model 21 excels in acceleration and climbing power, and with the new automatic air combat flap, its turning and dogfighting capabilities far exceed those of the F6F.

The armament includes four long-barreled Mark 2 cannons, each with a capacity of 250 rounds. With the surplus provided by the Kasei engine's high torque, it can carry two bombs of 250 kilograms or eight bombs of 60 kilograms each.

Tenzan

The successor to the acclaimed B5N torpedo bomber, the Tenzan, achieved a top speed of 430 kilometers per hour by adopting the powerful Kasei engine. Furthermore, by using the same engine as the Shiden, maintenance and supply became efficient and straightforward.

Regarding armament, it is equipped with a new type of bomb-dropping device, and with a reinforced warhead, it can carry one Type 91 aerial torpedo (1.000 kilograms), four of the 250-kilogram bombs, or a total of sixteen when combining the hardpoints under both wings for the 60-kilogram bombs.

The radar-equipped version is not a three-seater but a two-seater, with radar-related equipment, including a display device, placed between the front and rear seats. The navigator in the rear seat is therefore quite busy.