He shook his head. "That's why tonight's perfect. Serpents are already being rounded up, so there's less of them for us to deal with. And don't worry about Minetta, Peabody's got him handled."

"Thanks for letting me know Minetta was on our side," I said sarcastically.

"You almost lost us his support with that little stunt you pulled, Dolly," Penny said from where she was sitting by the fire. "Fortunately, I was able to convince him to add it to the charges against the Serpents, not sure who he'll pin it on. Maybe Pinkie here." I followed Penny's gaze to where Toni was being led over, her hands tied together in a length of rope. "Leave her there for now," Penny ordered. "She's not going anywhere."

"What the hell?" I snapped, looking between Penny and Malachai. "This wasn't part of the plan."

"That's the beauty of chaos, baby," Malachai said with a grin.

"It wasn't part of your plan," Penny said. "But it fits with mine perfectly."

I took a breath, running my hand through my hair. "And when were you going to let me in on this extra mission?"

Penny stood, walking towards me slowly. "I don't have to tell you a damn thing, Doll. You of all people should know that by now." I glared at her, not backing down, even when she leaned down to whisper in my ear. "I know your secret." I froze as she pulled back with a smirk. This had to be a trick, why else would I still be standing here? "Malachai, get your plaything out of here before she gets broken," she called out, resuming her seat in the small boulder by the fire.

"Come on, Doll, you can get me ready for tonight," Malachai said, wrapping an arm around my waist. I looked at Toni one last time before he pulled me away, desperate to give her some sign this wasn't what it looked like. She wasn't having it though, the moment our eyes met she looked away, her face a mixture of hate and disgust.

I slouched in the seat next to Malachai, swirling the liquid left in the bottle. "You would have been done a long time ago if you weren't such a damn perfectionist," I said.

"You want me looking good for my grand entrance, right Doll?"

I rolled my eyes. "In case you haven't noticed, it's pretty fucking dark outside," I said, gesturing at the windshield. "Not sure who all's gonna see you."

"I'll let you know when we get back. You're staying here with Peabody."

I didn't complain, I couldn't stand by and watch Pop's fall to the Ghoulies. I'd called FP after leaving the Sheriff's station, giving him the news about everything going down tonight. Things would work out as long as he listened to his voicemail.

The three of us sat in silence, waiting for the others to return. No matter how many times I tried, Toni wouldn't acknowledge me. After what felt like hours, the others returned, high on Jingle Jangle and adrenaline. I stayed where I was, letting the others talk over one another as I pieced together what had happened.

The Ghoulies had done some damage to Pop's and the cars parked out front but hadn't gained control of the place. Andrews had stopped them, throwing molotov cocktails of all things from the roof before former Sheriff Keller and two others had shown up, chasing them off.

"Clear out, boys," Penny shouted. "I need to make a phone call. Dolly, you stay here," she added when I started to rise.

"Hello, lover boy," Penny said when whoever it was answered. "It's your old gal pal." She smirked at whatever was said. "Oh, I heard. Riverdale, burning to the ground? It's tragic," Penny said, looking at me through the flames.

I leaned forward, listening carefully. It had to be Jughead she'd called. I half listened to Penny, barely catching her last words before she hung up. Malachai must have been watching, he came back around the minute Penny's phone disappeared.

"He's on his way," Penny said. "Sorry Doll, but we made quite a few plans without you."

"What are you talking about? What else is there?" I asked, looking between her and Malachai.

"Don't worry about that right now," Malachai said, pulling me to my feet. "You're still my favorite plaything. But right now, we need to get you and everyone else out of sight."

I stumbled after him, his grip tight on my arm. There was no way Jughead was going to come here alone, was there? He had to know this was some kind of trap. But was it a trap for just him, or me as well?

It didn't take long for Jughead to get there, and I watched around the corner of the old shipping container that had sat in this same spot for as long as I could remember.

"Hiya, Jones," Penny greeted.

He ignored her, going straight for Toni. "Jughead, she's not alone," Toni warned.

"Surprise!" Malachai said, stepping out of the shadows with his bat. I'd watched him hammer the nails haphazardly into the end of it just a few days ago.

Jughead glared at the other man as he circled the trash can to stand beside Penny. "You said it was just going to be the two of us."

"I never go anywhere without backup anymore, not after what you did to me." The Ghoulies stepped forward, coming out of their hiding places. "Besides, we need to talk. All of us."

"There's nothing to talk about," Jughead said. "I'm taking Toni and we're leaving."

"Not so fast!" Malachai snapped as Jughead stepped towards Toni. "I've been waiting to see you again for a long time."

"Get back, you hobgoblin!" Cheryl demanded from the treeline, her bow and arrow ready. She was the last person I'd expected to see tonight, much less helping the Serpents.

Jughead smirked at Penny. "I brought backup too. Like I said, I'm taking Toni, and we're leaving."

"Untie her, you Serpent hag," Cheryl ordered.

"Take her then," Penny said, nodding for Malachai to free Toni. "But remember, when all your friends are dead, I tried giving you a chance." I watched as Toni circled behind Jughead, making straight for Cheryl.

"Why do you keep coming back?" Jughead asked. "What do you want?"

Penny stood, looking at Jughead as if the answer should be obvious. "The Southside. There's money to be made here in 'The Town With Pep,' if you're not afraid to get your hands dirty."

"So you're partnering with the Ghoulies to sell drugs on the Southside?" Had he not listened to anything I'd told him and FP? They'd known for months that Penny was working with the Ghoulies.

"Bingo. So here's the offer I want you to take back to your dad and your tribe. The Serpents ship out tonight, or it's a showdown with the Ghoulies at Pickens Park at dawn. I'm fine either way."

Jughead glared, his eyes circling the clearing. He caught sight of me before quickly looking away. Without a word, he led Toni and Cheryl away.

As soon as they were out of sight, Penny turned to face the Ghoulies with a grin. "Before we prepare for battle, we have one more thing to do," she said, nodding to Malachai.

"Grab her," he ordered, looking directly at me.

Author's Note: Look at that, two chapters in one day.  As usual, vote and comment please!