Chapter 46

"What other choice do I have?"

FP sighed. "You need to pull out, cut ties with them."

"Easier said than done," I muttered. "If I abandon the Ghoulies now, they're gonna know something's up and come for me. Even if I skip town they'd still come after the Serpents and I'm not going to be the reason for another turf war."

"I should never have asked you to do this," FP said.

"No, it's not your fault," Jughead said. "Abigail did this to herself. She's the one who went back to the Ghoulies just a few weeks after getting to Riverdale."

"Yeah, under Penny Peabody's orders," I snapped. "I didn't exactly have a choice there, it was either follow orders or let my friends get hurt."

"Really, Abigail? That's your excuse for everything," Jughead replied. "You left town because of Penny, you ran with the Ghoulies all over the state because of Penny, you rejoined the Ghoulies because of Penny. When are you going to grow up and face the fact that your actions have consequences? You're the one who screwed everything up for yourself."

FP stood, walking slowly towards Jughead. "Boy," he said warningly.

"Maybe you should join the Ghoulies, make it official," Jughead continued. "I always did wonder where your allegiances truly lied."

Everything seemed to happen at once. FP had Jughead held against the wall roughly, my switchblade stuck in the wall just inches from their heads.

"I warned you before to never question my loyalty to the Serpents," I said coldly, looking straight at Jughead.

"Both of you, sit down!" FP ordered, releasing Jughead. Now," he added when neither of us moved. We reluctantly took seats across from one another. Pocketing my knife, he looked between the two of us. "You two need to cool it before I have to cover up another murder. Abigail, I told you before that I didn't want more holes in my walls but thanks to you, I now have one on either side of my living room."

"There wouldn't have been a second hole in the wall if your son would learn to think before speaking," I said, glaring at Jughead.

"Maybe you should think before throwing knives at people," Jughead snapped, returning my glare.

"Both of you, shut up and listen," FP ordered. "You're both right. You," he said, pointing at me, "need to control your temper. And you," he pointed to Jughead, "need to learn to keep your mouth shut."

Jughead and I stayed silent, waiting for FP to continue. When he didn't, Jughead took the opportunity to speak up. "All I was saying is that Abigail seems pretty accepting of this plan to become a Ghoulie. We don't even know when they're getting out, but she seems pretty eager to be one of them."

"Just over a week," I said. "They're out in ten fucking days. So sorry, Forsythe, for trying to get the ball rolling."

"That means we have a week to come up with a better plan," FP said, trying to placate both of us. "Nothing is set in stone yet, and there's still a chance they'll get time added on."

I shook my head. "No, they're going to be on their best behavior right now. They won't risk it." I looked up at FP. "And that means I have to be there that first night, I have to tell Malachai I'm ready to be a Ghoulie."

FP nodded sadly, knowing I was right.

Jughead sighed, looking defeated. "I'm outnumbered."

"We still have a week before anything happens," FP said. "That still gives us time to figure out an alternative."