Chapter 18

I sat in Penny's office, waiting for her to finish whatever paperwork she was doing and tell me why I'd been summoned. "I have a job for you," she said, sitting back in her chair.

"A job? I thought I was supposed to be laying low, avoiding anything that could call the cops down on my head," I replied.

"And you will be. You're going to be...babysitting," she said with a smile.

"I'm sorry, did you say babysitting?" I asked. That was definitely not what I was expecting.

Penny nodded. "See, I have Jones doing a job for me tonight and I need you to tag along and make sure it's done right."

"Why send me?"

"Because, Doll, you still owe me, and I want to be sure you're ready to get back to work," she explained. "Since that whole debacle with the street race, the Ghoulies can no longer deal at Southside High, which means I need to boost sales elsewhere. You'll be making more trips to the Northside."

I knew this was coming, I had just hoped it wouldn't be so soon. "Okay. So what's this job?" I asked with a sigh.

"Nothing really," Penny said. "Just delivering a crate for me to Greendale. All you have to do is make sure it gets from Point A to Point B on time without looking in the crate."

I raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to offer more details. "And in the crate is...?" I asked when she didn't continue.

"What did I tell Jones, it was? Oh, that's right, pancake mix," she answered.

"Really? You couldn't come up with something more creative than pancake mix?" I asked. "You couldn't have gone with dirt for Dracula's new house? Or even something as simple as concrete mix?"

"Keep up the good work and maybe one day I'll set you up with your own little operation," Penny said. "Then you can tell people whatever you want. But for tonight, it's pancake mix. I'll send you the address, you have a few hours before pickup."

The next few hours passed quickly and before long I found myself leaning against the metal shipping container the crate was in.

Right on time, a truck pulled up and he climbed out. "Abigail? What are you doing here?" he asked, walking towards me.

"Making sure you follow directions tonight, which you clearly aren't," I said, glancing behind him at Andrews.

"Look, don't blame Jug, okay?" Andrews said. "He came to me and asked to borrow the truck."

I sighed. We didn't have time to be standing here talking. "So give us the damn keys, so we can use the truck," I snapped. "We're on a time limit here."

"What? No," Andrews said. "I owe Jughead, and you, for involving Sheriff Keller. I'm helping."

"Just let him help, Abigail," Jughead said.

"Fine, but you're dealing with the consequences," I said, watching the two load the crate in the bed of the truck. I climbed in, taking the middle seat.

We drove in silence for while, and I could tell something was on Andrews's mind, the way he kept glancing past me towards Jughead. They hadn't been planning on me tagging along so I rested my head on Jughead's shoulder and pretended to fall asleep.

It wasn't long before Andrews finally spoke up. "Jug, I will see this through, but where does it end?"

"115 Derby Street in Greendale," Jughead replied.

"Come on. I mean, how does you being a Serpent end?" Andrews asked.

Jughead sighed. "I don't know. I'm kind of just living minute-to-minute here, all right?