Chapter 12

I slipped into the Wyrm late, everyone already circled around Tall Boy and Jughead. Jughead was already to the fourth law by the time I managed to squeeze between two of my boys. I spotted Sweet Pea across the circle from us, next to Fangs..

"What is the fifth law?" Tall Boy shouted.

"A Serpent never betrays its own" Jughead recited without hesitation.

"What is the sixth?" Tall Boy demanded.

"In unity, there is strength," Jughead shouted back, looking around as we all repeated after him.

"You know the laws. Now it's time for the next trial," Tall Boy said. Fangs and Sweet Pea moved apart, revealing the terrarium behind them. "Retrieve the knife," Tall Boy ordered, shooting me a warning look.

"So the snake has bodyguards now?" I asked quietly, the Serpents around me snickering. We watched as Jughead looked nervously at the snake. I guess Toni failed to mention this to him, considering she was nodding at him encouragingly. He managed to do it though, only being bitten once.

Tall Boy pulled me aside as everyone dispersed, the trials done for the night. "You were late, Babygirl" he snapped.

"So I missed the very beginning, big deal," I shrugged. "Jughead made it this far, now we just wait and see if he's up for the rest." I looked over at him, where he and Toni were sitting by themselves. Was something going on between them?

"Be there on time and have your boys ready."

"Me? You're the de facto leader here," I questioned.

"The way it's looking, FP won't be around for a long time, and I was his right hand. I don't have one but those boys would replace me with you any day. Hell, half of those men would too given the chance. I don't have time to be running around after a bunch of kids, so you keep them under control and we won't have any issues." Tall Boy turned and walked away before I could say anything else.

My entire life I'd known I wanted nothing more than to be a Serpent, but I'd never considered becoming the leader. The younger Serpents, officially my boys now, were gathered in the usual corner and I joined them, taking my spot next to Sweet Pea.

"Do you think he's going to make it through The Gauntlet?" Fangs asked. I halfway listened as the boys voiced their opinions. "What do you think, Babygirl?" Brett asked, everyone's attention turning to me, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"I can see it going either way," I said. "He's FP's kid, which for any of us would be motivation to make it through. But I don't know about Jughead. He's kept the Serpents at a distance for so long, I don't even know if he can take a single hit. He may not make it to the end."

"The real test is at the end of the line," Sweet Pea said. "If he can take my hit, he's in."

I smiled up at him. "I know you've been waiting for your chance to knock him on his ass." The boys voiced their support, some placing bets on whether or not Jughead will make it to the end and if Sweet Pea really will knock him down.

"Remember guys, Jughead has tomorrow to get himself ready. How he decides to do that is up to him. But that gives you tomorrow as well. And I know you'll be using the time wisely," I announced, glancing over to see Jughead and Toni still talking at the same table. Had she even told him about the Gauntlet?

"Let's get out of here," Sweet Pea whispered in my ear. "I think we need to get back to where we left off this morning." I let him lead me out of the bar and in the direction of his trailer.

"I like that idea, but first, I have news."

"Good news or bad?" he questioned. "You're going to be there for the initiation, right?"