Chapter 29

The stares began the moment we pulled into the lot, Northsiders giving us a wide berth as if we had the plague. We stayed to ourselves, Serpents moving as one up the sidewalk to the school.

"How's this gonna work, Jug?" I asked. "You know this school, the people in it."

He glanced up the stairs nervously. "I, uh, everything should be ready for us, paperwork transferred over from Southside. The layout's the same so getting around won't be a problem."

"And you expect these Northsiders to just let us by with no problem either?" I asked skeptically.

"I don't know," Jughead said. "Together, we intimidate them. But alone they might see us as an easy target."

"What is the first law?" Toni asked the crowd of Serpents.

"No Serpent stands alone," Sweet Pea replied.

"We may be on their land but we stand together. And don't start anything," I said, giving the Serpents a warning look. "Let's get this over with."

Jughead and I led the Serpents through the doors, Sweet Pea, Toni, and Fangs close behind. We stopped short, unsure of where to go until Jughead nudged me, motioning to his left. Down the hall was a table set up with none other than Veronica Lodge, Andrews, and another Northsider who looked ready to run in the other direction as we approached. I was surprised Betty wasn't there, I'd expected her to be part of the welcoming committee, especially since she knew Jughead and I.

Lodge smiled us, beginning her speech with false cheer. "Friends. On behalf of the students and faculty here at Riverdale High, welcome to your new school! To ease the transition, I've set up a registration desk where you can get your locker assignments, class schedules, and a list of sports and extracurriculars," she said, pointing to the stacks of paper in front of her as she spoke. "We encourage each and every one of you to drink deeply from the cup that is fair Riverdale."

I tried not to laugh at that last part, and I heard a few behind me who weren't able to contain themselves. Lodge had been to the Southside, even for a short time. Why did she feel the need to act like it was a whole different world?

"Stand down, Eva Peron!" someone said. We all looked up to see the Bulldogs and cheerleaders, the Vixens I remembered Betty calling them, coming down the stairs led by none other than Cheryl Blossom. I recognized more than a few of the athletes, not just from the night of the Serpent vs Bulldog fight, but from when I was making deliveries for Penny.

"There's the school spirit I so fondly remember," Jughead muttered, looking over the papers abandoned on the table.

"Cheryl," Lodge greeted with a sigh. "No one invited Fascist Barbie to the party."

"Wrong, Veronica, no one invited Southside scum to our school," the redhead replied.

"Then I guess it's a good thing we weren't invited, but we're here anyway," I interrupted. I felt Sweet Pea's hands tighten on my waist. "If you're so against it, why don't you run back to your mansion and hide?"

"What happened to not starting anything?" Jughead hissed.

"Listen up, Ragamuffins," Blossom said, glaring at me. "I will not allow Riverdale High's above average GPA to suffer because classrooms are overcrowded with underachievers. So please, do us all a favor and find some other school to debase with your hardscrabble ways."

"Why don't you come over here and say that to my face?" Toni demanded, storming around the table.

We followed after her, grabbing Toni's arms as Blossom stepped forward. "Happily, Queen of the Buskers." I loosened my grip on Toni, she deserved what Toni did to her for that.