Chapter 45

"There's no way you're gonna make that shot," I said, watching Fangs leaning over the pool table.

"Come on, have a little faith," he said.

I shook my head. "I have faith," I replied. "Faith in the fact that it's not gonna work."

Fangs ignored me, going for it anyways. We watched as the balls rolled around the table, knocking into one another. His head dropped as the eight-ball rolled into the corner pocket. "Okay, what did I do wrong?" he asked.

"Come on, man," Sweet Pea said. "Abigail won't even show me how to do that shot, what makes you think she's gonna tell you?"

I smiled. "If I told everyone the secret, it wouldn't be such an impressive move and I wouldn't be able to win every time."

"Hey, I beat you one time," Sweet Pea protested, wrapping an arm around my waist.

"Yeah, because I let you win," I replied ,rolling my eyes.

"Did not, I won that game fair and square."

"Just keep telling yourself that," I teased.

"You two sound like some old married couple," Fangs laughed, setting up for another game. "Why don't you play another round to settle it? Right here, right now."

I looked up at Sweet Pea. "I'm in."

He nodded, leaning down to press his lips against mine. "I'm not going easy on you though," he warned.

"Good, neither am I," I replied, taking the pool cue from Fangs.

We were down to the end when Toni burst through the door, nearly breaking Sweet Pea's focus. "Where the hell have you been?" she snapped.

"Here for most of the day," Fangs answered. "Give up, Abigail, there's no way you're gonna win now."

"I promise not to brag about it too much," Sweet Pea said.

"You haven't won yet," I reminded him, studying the table.

"So is anyone going to tell me why they haven't answered their phones all day? Obviously nothing happened at the Cooper house this morning, or you wouldn't be here having fun," Toni said.

"Nothing too exciting," Fangs answered as I took my shot. "There were only two of them there and when we broke in they decided not to take chances and hightailed it out of town. No way!"

"You were saying?" I smirked at the two boys.

"Okay, now that the game's over, can you guys focus?" Toni snapped in frustration. "I've been trying to get in touch with you all day."

The three of us exchanged glances, following Toni to a table. "We're breaking Cheryl out tonight," she said, looking directly at me.

"Who exactly are 'we'?" I asked.

"You and me, Veronica, and Kevin."

"Why can't we come?" Fangs asked. "Sweet Pea and I can help."

Toni shook her head. "No, it's gotta be us. Nana Rose called me at the school earlier, Cheryl's with the Sisters of Quiet Mercy, forced into some underground conversion therapy."

"I told you the old lady knew where she was," I said. "But that doesn't explain why it's only the four of us."

"According to Kevin, there's a tunnel that leads from the basement to Sweetwater River that boys use to sneak out at night to hook up in the forest. He's going to take us to it. It'll be easier with just three of us going in," Toni explained.