Chapter 41

"Why did I have to get chained up next to you two?" Fangs groaned.

"Because we're the coolest people out here," I said with a smile, pulling away from Sweet Pea slightly.

"But do you have to do...that?" he whined.

"Blame Jones," Sweet Pea said, nodding to Jughead who was doing his best to ignore us all. "If it weren't for him and this crazy-ass plan, we'd be doing this at home."

"Come on, man," Brett said. "You do this at the Wyrm all the time, you don't save it for home."

Sweet Pea smirked. "Like you and Lexxie are any better?"

"Speaking of," I said, "where is Lexxie?"

"Said it was too cold to stay out here all night," he answered. "She'll be here in the morning." The other Serpents muttered similar excuses from their girls.

I smiled up at Sweet Pea. "Looks like you're the lucky one around here," I said.

"I already knew that," he said, pressing me back against the wall as he resumed kissing me.

"Seriously, would you two cool it?" Jughead snapped. "We're supposed to be protesting here."

I sighed. "How exactly are we protesting right now?" I asked. "It's the middle of the night and there's no in sight."

"It, we're, it's still a protest, us being out here all night," Jughead stuttered. "The fact that we're not leaving this place, not until Lodge changes his mind about tearing it down."

We all turned as Andrews appeared before us, letting his bicycle fall to the ground as he came to a stop. "Well, well, well," Jughead said, walking towards him. "The cavalry's finally here. Guess that means we've got Hiram's attention."

"Are you nuts? Chaining yourselves to this place?" Andrews shouted. "They're gonna tear it down in two days, dude."

"Not unless Hiram wants the blood of nine young Serpents on his hands," Jughead replied coldly. "We're not going anywhere. Go and tell your boss we said that."

Andrews glared at all of us before taking off again.

"That's one way to kill the mood," Sweet Pea whispered.

"Come on, it's going to be a long few days and nights," I said, pulling him down to sit next to me. "We should try to get some sleep while we can."

Fangs looked down at me like I was crazy. "How are we supposed to sleep out here?" he asked. "It's freezing out and we're on the sidewalk, which doesn't exactly provide any warmth."

I sighed, having had experience sleeping in the open before. "Huddle up when you can, and protect your toes and fingers. They're some of the last places your body is worried about keeping warm. And try not to think about the cold, think about something warm, like a fire."

"We can do this," Jughead said. "My dad and the others are coming by with coffee in the morning. Remember, we're here to protect the Southside, our home."

I curled into Sweet Pea's side as the others muttered amongst themselves. It was going to be a long night, but sleep would make the time go by faster.

Hours later, I woke up, unable to move. Sweet Pea was still on one side of me, while Fangs was on my other side, sandwiching me between them. I stayed as I was, glad of the warmth the two provided, watching the sun begin to rise over the trees.

True to his word, FP pulled up in his truck, bringing several large thermoses of coffee with him. "You doing okay, Babygirl?" he asked quietly, handing me a cup.