Chapter 6

"Alright, spill," I said, walking up to Johnny. "What's going on that you called me this morning, only to make me wait all day?"

Johnny led me to a table in the corner, waiting until we were seated before talking. "Our informants have said there's been talk among the Ghoulies."

I waited for him to continue. "Okay, and how is that different from any other day?" I asked, not where he was going with this.

"They're talking about a turf war. And they've already started sending out warnings. There was one last night at the high school. The Jones kid?"

I nodded. "We tried to warn him, but he wants to be a loner and said he's done with the Serpents."

Johnny sighed, looking at me. "You've gotta pull him in. The Ghoulies know FP is out of the picture right now, and his son is a sitting duck out there."

"What am I supposed to do?" I snapped. "Hypnotize him and make him go through the initiation? We don't force people to join, and you of all people should know that."

"Don't go there, Babygirl," Johnny warned. "She had every right to walk away."

"I'm sorry," I said quietly. It was a low blow, bringing up his ex, and I really was sorry for bringing her up. "But I think Jughead might be coming around. He just needs another push." I looked down at the table, tapping my fingers against the glass bottle in front of me as I racked my brain for what that push could be.

"The Ghoulies got another Serpent the other day," Johnny said, leaning forward. "Over where you're staying."

I looked up, meeting his eyes. I could tell he already knew the truth. "Yes, but it was a personal attack, not gang-related," I said, running my hand through my hair. "I've had a few run-ins with the Ghoulies, and this guy was pissed about something that happened when I was around. We don't need to worry about him, he's probably already skipped town, done with what he needed here."

"And the rest of the Ghoulies?" Johnny asked.

"Like you said, they're more than likely prepping for a turf war. They already have Southside High full of Jingle Jangle. I wouldn't be surprised if their plan is to expand their drug dealing business. And Jughead just happened to present himself as an easy target the other night for some lucky newbie."

Johnny nodded, lost in thought. "We need to talk to Tall Boy," he said, breaking the silence. "He's got the most contacts with the Ghoulies."

"What? Who?" I hissed. It shouldn't have surprised me that Tall Boy was still involved with them, but if Johnny knew about it, how deep was he now? Back then, Tall Boy wasn't much more than Penny's lackey when it came to dealing with the rival gang.

Johnny studied me, worried. "I don't know who it is, just that he's the self-appointed representative from the Serpents."

"Damn it," I muttered. This was definitely bad news. "I need to have a talk with him. But not tonight. I have other plans, I said, standing. I needed to get out of here for a bit, give myself time to think a bit before heading to Toni's for dinner.

"I'll arrange something," Johnny said. "What happened to you, Babygirl?" he asked, causing me to turn back towards him.

His question was so quiet, I almost hadn't heard, and for a moment, I considered pretending not to. I met his eyes, shaking my head slightly. "A lot, Johnny. A lot happened that you don't want to know about." I didn't give him time to respond before making my way out.

A few hours later,I took a breath before knocking on the door. Thomas Topaz had been like a grandfather to me, and though Toni said he wanted to see me, I wasn't sure how he felt about me leaving. He had connections to Serpents all over, and who knew what the grapevine had carried about me back to him. Maybe that's why I felt like a little kid about to be scolded.