Hearing your cry, Levi's gaze shot over to your quickly approaching form, recognition and relief immediately flooding his eyes.

"Y/N," he rasped out, trying to turn towards you. But with the state he was in, he could hardly manage the motion.

Sliding to your knees before him, you cried out in relieved anguish. "Levi!"

His arms accepted your embrace before you even had time to register you'd thrown yourself into them. You gripped onto his shoulders as though your life depended on it and wept ugly tears against his chest, and he held you back just as tightly.

Minding his leg, you sat back onto your heels in front of him and attempted to clear your vision to fully take him in. He looked awful; battle worn and exhausted. But even still, seeing him now, you'd never seen a more beautiful sight.

"Oh, Levi...! found you..." You sniffled, a watery smile on your face. You leaned forward onto your knees to reach forward and move the stray hairs from his forehead. Levi leaned into your feather light touch, closing his eyes for a moment and sighing deeply.

"I'm so glad you're here," he whispered, peering up at you with half lidded eyes after a moment.

"You have no idea....I couldn't....I can't...."
"Shh," you shushed him, wrapping your arms back around him tightly.

"I'm here. You're here. We survived."

Content with your reassurance, he rested his forehead against your shoulder and allowed his arms to wrap back around you. You'd never seen him so vulnerable and open before; even after the thunder spear explosion incident. But right now, you'd happily accept it and enjoy the way he held you so tightly against him.

"It's over now. We don't have to fight anymore. We can live, and be free," you whispered soothingly to him, your voice still shaking with emotions barely contained. You felt him prepare to reply to your statement, but his voice never reached your ears.

Confused, you pulled back slightly to see his face, only to feel him tense up and pull you closer to his chest. You couldn't see his face from this position, so instead of observing what he might be thinking, you decided to just ask.

"What is it?" You whispered against his shoulder.

"You're right...We can." He murmured, his voice muffled by your messy hair falling out of its band.

"We can be free. I can be free...with you."

Again you tried to pull back to see his face, but he held you still against his chest.

"Y/N...I've done what I set out to do. I saw through the last command I was given. I...I don't have to push everything else aside anymore."

Hearing him mutter on under his breath, you were starting to wonder if he had a concussion. But when he suddenly pulled you back to look at him, the tears shining in his eyes were unmistakable.

"Levi...What do you mean?" you asked slowly, searching his face for any indication as to where he was leading this.

"Come on, L/N; you've always been one of my smartest cadets. You know what I'm talking about; you can't have been blind all these years." He scoffed, turning his gaze away momentarily.

"Even if I did try to hide it."

Memories of soft glances and suppressed emotions flooded your mind, causing an unbidden grin to fight for control over your face.

Nestling your forehead against his collar bone, you couldn't help but for a soft chuckle to escape you.

"Took you long enough. It took the near ending of the world for you to hint at your emotions to me."