11 || Laurel

Jared smiled smugly at her and grabbed her hand before she could pull it away from his mouth. His soft lips caressed her fingers, and the way he was holding her hand was very gentle.

He chewed silently, just holding her hand, and then swallowed. "It tastes better when it comes from you."

Silver clicked her tongue in annoyance. "I'm not feeding you."

"Then I'm not eating." Just like that, Jared put his hands down and looked around at the dishes on the table forlornly. "It sure looks good..."

"I can't believe you're manipulating me right now." Silver ripped off a crispy piece of bread to eat with the fattet hummus.

"Why do you have to use such ugly words?" The man frowned at her, seeming very hurt. "I'm not manipulating you, I just don't know how to eat this food."

She knew he was being ridiculous and stupid. It wasn't rocket science, it was just Middle Eastern food. You ate with your hands if it was something to eat with the hands, and you ate with a spoon if it was something to eat with the spoon.

Biting into her flatbread, the spiced yoghurt and hummus bloomed on her tastebuds. It wasn't as good as her mother's, but she liked it either way.

Silver quickly reached for the kafta with a fork, and groaned in satisfaction on the first crispy bite.

She should've just been a food critic. Who the hell likes ads, anyway?

Her hands were moving fast as she fell into the familiar motions of eating the food of her home country, and she was so immersed that she didn't notice the resentful gaze of her companion until she was dipping the kafta in the spiced yoghurt.

Jared gulped, but true to his word, did not make a single move to eat.

"You're serious?" Frowning at him, she held up her skewered kafta dipped in yoghurt just to see if he would eat it.

He did.

The idiot moved so fast that she could barely tell when the meat ball had been on her fork, and when it went down his gullet.

"Delicious." He licked his lips, looking at the soft flatbread in her hand. "What is it?"

The corners of her mouth twitched. It was now clear that he really would not take a single bite unless she fed it to him.

He was doing it to spite her.

However, Silver was not in the mood to be petty, so she didn't take it to heart. If he wanted to spite her, she'd ruin his plans.

"Kafta is ground meat and spices. These are fried, but you can grill or bake them, too." She picked up a piece of djaj meshwi. "This is grilled chicken. Try it."

Jared opened his mouth and dutifully ate everything she gave him without question. Silver noticed that he was not a picky eater. He basically found everything delicious, because his eyes lit up every time she put something in his mouth.

He looked like a big kid, and it was cute.

What was not cute was the way he kept wanting to hog her dessert. She had ordered kanafeh for herself, and he had ordered booza, but even when he was eating his ice cream, he kept looking at her stuffed dessert.

Silver protectively put her arm in front of her plate so that he couldn't snatch any away, and munched on it. The fillings of cheese, syrup and nuts were very harmonious to her, who did not like overly sweet things.

Kanafeh was her favourite thing to eat as a child, and that taste hadn't changed at all.

But Jared was ruining the experience.