8 || Black Pepper

The previous day's rain had turned into a storm.

Silver's eyes snapped open when a thunderbolt ripped through the sky, illuminating the bedroom with a haunting light that was straight from the realm of nightmares.

The thunder that followed was loud enough to shake the building, making her flinch. She buried her face under the covers, vainly trying to hide herself away from the noises outside by cocooning herself.

And then, she felt the bed underneath her stiffen, followed by a raspy, groggy voice.

"Get off me, Bailey."

She stuck her head out of the covers again, and looked up in the direction that the voice came from, which was right above her head.

Her limbs were once again entangled with Jared's, putting her in a compromising position.

Silver had gone from one side of the bed to the other, and Jared was in the middle. She was pressed up against his front with her face tucked into the crook of his neck. One of her arms was wrapped around his waist, and a leg was thrown over his hips carelessly.

Similarly, one of his arms was around her waist and his other hand was on her hip. If anyone looked at them, they would come off as a very loving couple cuddling in their sleep.

Her breath caught in her throat, and she inadvertently inhaled a lungful of his clean scent.

He smelled good, like a misty pine forest after the rain.

The blankets had fallen to their midriffs when she moved, and she shivered from the cold, still a little disoriented from the disturbed slumber.

Underneath her, the man stiffened once again.

Two buds on her chest hardened and pressed against the thin fabrics of their sleeping tops. The pebbled nipples on her soft breasts stood out, proudly announcing their existence like little conquerors that defied social etiquette.

Silver made a lazy sound of protest as she retracted her arms to help sit herself up. She blinked groggily, still half asleep, looking around the room as if to recognise her surroundings in the flashing lightning.

Her hands were pressed firmly on Jared's chest, causing him to grunt in discomfort under the weight of her body.

The situation finally dawned on her.

All of the pillows that had been between them were long gone, probably to the next dimension she was going to, aka hell.

She had once again used Jared as a substitute for her body pillow.

Sitting back on her haunches, she looked at the man underneath her with slow, sleepy blinks. Maybe it was because the lightning outside was so constant in the electrical storm, but she could see his dark eyes clearly.

"So-rry." She covered her mouth, yawning, when a sudden, cracking thunderbolt struck. It was so loud that it felt like the end of the world, and the building shook along with the sound.

Silver jolted at the suddenness of the noise. It had scared her so much that any vestiges she might have had of sleep had completely skedaddled, leaving in its place wide, alert eyes.

Jared looked at her strangely. "You're scared of thunderstorms?"

Scared was not the word to be used. Silver wasn't scared of thunderstorms, per se, but they were a deeply uncomfortable experience for her.

She shook her head, swaying loose strands that had escaped from her silk scarf. "No."

What was a grown ass woman walking through the fourth decade of her life looking like being scared of thunderstorms?