1 || Cloves

"What do you mean 'a mistake?' What's a mistake?" Silver Bailey rubbed the space between her eyebrows, hoping to summon a few more shreds of patience.

Her fiancée had called during her lunch break and she couldn't really decipher anything useful from his vague choice of words, which was frustrating in itself, yet not unlike him at all.

Tack onto that the feeling of impending doom that was growing in her gut, Silver was rolling steadily toward the road of bringing about complete anarchy.

"Our engagement, Silver. I want to end it," Victor spoke monotonously, like he couldn't be bothered to account for his crimes.

Silver's self-soothing stopped abruptly as her momentary silence conveyed all of her disbelief.

Yep, there it is.

She understood, but she also didn't understand at all.

"What do you mean by that?"

She was getting dumped over the phone, and on top of that was being told that she was a mistake?

A mistake?

"I'm sorry I couldn't tell you this sooner. I've wanted to break things off for a long time."

"Victor," she said calmly, trying not to implode on herself, "we have been together for ten years. You couldn't... We're supposed to be getting married in two weeks!"

Silver thought of all the calls she had to make, all of the appointments she had to cancel, and her head throbbed.

She didn't need this on her lunch break—or ever—and certainly not before the executive meeting she'd need to attend in only a few minutes.

"I'm sorry. I just didn't know how to tell you."

Didn't know how to tell her.

Silver hung up the phone without a word and resisted the urge to smash it to pieces. She sat at the restaurant table for a very long moment, breathing in through her nose to try and collect her rage.

Where exactly had she gone wrong?

As a girlfriend, she had tried her best. As a fiancée, she had been nothing but supportive. Exactly what was missing between herself and Victor that they'd crashed and burned so spectacularly on a Tuesday?

Over a phone call, for goodness sake.

Silver was so angry that she couldn't even be angry properly. She was so enraged that she just went into shock and couldn't feel anything.

A bitter chuckle escaped before she pretty much ripped the elegant engagement ring off her slender finger, feeling a sudden wave of disgust.

Logic was telling her to be smart and pawn the ring, then use the money to fund a very well-deserved vacation in the Antilles. She could consider it her perfect revenge, a wonderful way to relax and recuperate her state of mind before continuing with her work.

But Silver Bailey had a petty side, and that side rarely ever lost an argument.

With a sneer curled on her pretty lips, she paid for her lunch and walked out of the restaurant, standing over a grate in the sidewalk.

She looked down at the darkness between the thick strips of iron and dropped the ring right down into the sewer.

Dumping her over the phone? Fine. He wasn't going to see this investment ever again unless he went wading through whatever filth was down there.

A dark cloud seemed to have settled over Silver's head as she stomped back to her office building, nearly bulldozing over the security guard at the door when she'd made it in.