2 || Cinnamon

"You know, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be burying your grief in a week-long work trip with someone you can't stand," Thenia said, handing over the designer carry-on from her back seat. "But on the other hand, this is exactly the sort of thing you'd do."

"Are you accusing me of something?" Silver quirked a sculpted eyebrow as she took her luggage. "I'm not deflecting."

"As a doctor, I diagnose that you are totally deflecting." Her younger sister crossed both arms over her chest and gave her a look. "You haven't told mom and dad about the breakup, have you?"

Silver's silence to that question and the guilty glance away spoke volumes above what she didn't even dare to whisper.

If she told her parents that her engagement to Victor had ended, she would never hear the end of it, and on top of Mrs. Randall's meddling, she'd be facing a sneak attack from all sides.

While Silver was sure that her parents already knew about the tragic affair, she wasn't ready to talk to them yet.

She would, definitely, speak to them. Just not yet.

Silver could recall that everyone in her family had been thrilled when Victor proposed to her. The engagement party had received guests even via FaceTime.

A marketing executive and a neurosurgeon? Gold-class couple. Everyone had been so proud of them.

Ignoring the surge of discomfort in her chest, Silver got ready to leave and hugged her little sister. "See you when I get back."

"Call me when you get there." Thenia pulled back from the hug and the two shared air kisses. "Don't kill Jared."

"Just be prepared to bail me out." She waved her fingers in a parting salute and grabbed her suitcase to head into the chaos of airport style sensory overload.

The hustle and bustle of the crowd walking here and there to find their airline desks quickly sucked her into the familiar and exciting motions of travelling.

Silver checked in, went through the obnoxious trials of airport security, and finally made her way to the gate with her boarding pass in hand. Since she was only taking a domestic flight, her gate wasn't far.

There was about an hour left for boarding time on her flight, so she stopped by a café and bought herself a latte for breakfast to avoid going through the morning on an empty stomach.

She also didn't think that she could face that man so early in the morning without sufficient caffeine in her system, and it was this eloquent thought that led to her sipping a double-shot antoccino by the window of the wait area.

The drink was an unsweetened, mildly bitter, steaming hot blend of perfection. There was nothing quite like drinking drug bean soup first thing in the morning.

Through the window, the dark sky overlooking the tarmac was turning bluer by the minute, casting a pretty hue on the reflective surfaces of the aircrafts that were stationed neatly at their gates.

In the background cityscape, various lights of high-rise buildings started to turn off one by one to welcome the rising sun.

With nothing to do but wait, Silver decided not to be lazy and get a head start on her work, so she pulled out her laptop just like so many other people in the waiting area to do that.

She finished the draft of the ad campaign she had started the night before and added some finishing touches to make sure it would be flawless, then, when that was done, set about creating variables of that first draft.

"Do you ever do anything besides work?" Jared Hellspawn Jung dropped into the empty seat beside her like a jumpscare and peered down at her laptop screen. "You do know that you're allowed to take a break?"