(Polar Express AU): Silver Bell

Mirabel skipped happily, ringing the silver bell her father gave her. She knew only a select few people could hear it. She liked the sound of it, it was like a sweet and gentle ringing that sounded out as she shook it gently. She hummed softly, hopping along the tiles to the dining room where lunch was being set up.

Once she entered, she was scooped up by her father, who peppered her face with kisses. "You really like that bell, don't you Miraboo?"

Mirabel eagerly nodded, shaking the bell once more. "Yeah! It sounds really pretty, and it reminds me of you!"

Agustín laughed at his youngest daughter's reasoning, ruffling her hair before pecking another kiss on her forehead. He let her run off to play, helping set up for lunch.

Once the table had been set, Mirabel rushed to the table, scrambling into her seat in between her papa and Isabela. She set her bell down, getting ready to eat when her abuela spoke up.

"Mirabel, is that your bell?" She asked, and Mirabel looked towards the head of the table where her abuela had been sitting. The small girl beamed, nodding.

"¡Si!" She said, holding it up, causing it to make a small ringing. "Papa gave it to me!"

"Well, I understand you're excited about your new gift," Alma said, sighing a bit. "But please don't ring it so much and so loud, ok nieta?" Alma gently chided and Mirabel nodded before stopping.

"Wait, abuela, you can hear the bell?" Mirabel asked, her eyes wide. Alma raised an eyebrow.

"Yes...of course I can. I've been hearing it all morning. You've been having fun with it I assume," Alma said, taking a bite of her food. Mirabel looked towards Agustín, who looked just as surprised. He reached into one of his pockets and rang a small bell. Alma reacted to it.

Mirabel leaned towards her father, whispering. "But I thought you said only people who believed in Christmas could hear it papá."

Agustín blinked away his shock and looked down at Mirabel. "Well Mira, it seems like Abuela believes. You can't fake something like that."

"Because it's magic?" Mirabel whispered and Agustín chuckled.

"Because it's magic, mija. Christmas magic. Why don't you ask your abuela about it later, hm?" Agustín suggested, and Mirabel nodded with excitement, before joining in an animated conversation with Camilo.

Agustín watched his daughter with a smile for a moment before his gaze shifted to the small bell that sat near her plate. He then looked towards Alma, who was engaged in a conversation with Pepa and Bruno.

There's no way...well, there was a way, but he didn't think it possible. After all, Alma, the matriarch, was such a stern person, and a perfectionist as well. Practicality was something she aimed for, and her believing in something like Christmas was just...baffling to Agustín. Maybe he would ask Mirabel about it once she ask the woman later on.