Tangled AU: Overcoming Fears

Alma looked over the tower edge, where her triplets along with Felix and Agustin were waiting at the bottom. The woman clenched her hair, standing on the edge.

"Come on mama! We'll catch you, we promise!" Pepa called from below, with Agustin next to her; the two were the tallest, so they could easily help her down should something go wrong.

Alma took a deep breath, glancing back at the interior of the tower. She could always go back...but then she would let her children down. They had been so excited when she finally agreed to come with them. And it had been almost 18 years since she last left...

She would do this. For her children. And she had to face her fears one of these days. Moving a bit closer she clenched her jaw and jumped. She looked around and she was sliding down, wind blowing in her face as she watched awestruck. She hadn't seen the scenery like this in years...

She was falling for a moment, but just before she got close to the ground, she stopped, clenching her hair again. She looked at the ground, then at her children, along with Felix and Agustin.

"Mama? You gonna get down?" Bruno asked and Alma stared for a moment, swinging mid air.

"Are you sure about this?" Alma asked, keeping her shoes from touching the ground.

"We'll catch you!" Agustin said holding his arms up.

"Mama its ok!" Pepa laughed, doing the same. Alma slid down a bit more, but stopped again, now only 2 fert away from the ground.

As Pepa and Agustin were trying to coax Alma down, Felix turned to Julieta. "She...she doesn't get out huh?" He chuckled.

"Nope," Julieta said simply. "She hasn't left the tower in almost 18 years." And Felix's eyes widened. She knew their mama had been in there for a while, but he didn't think it would be so long.

"Come on mama. Its fine, I promise," Pepa said and Alma melted at her daughters face. She could never deny any of her children when they looked at her like that...

Sliding down, Alma slowly let her feet touch the ground. She looked up and saw that----

She was completely fine. She didn't spontaneously combust into flames. No animals attacked her. And no one had come to take her babies away.

"Are you ok Señora?" Agustin asked careful not to alarm or overwhelm her. Alma looked around, taking in the scenery. Everything was so much bigger from this angle. So much prettier from ground level.

"Has...has it always been this beautiful?" Alma asked quietly.