(Cut Throat): You'd Never Ruin The Picture

Mirabel was pulled into Antonio's room by Isabela, and the two were excited that Antonio's ceremony was a success. The family looked around the room, it was huge; bigger than Mirabel's, maybe around the size of Isabela's. The boy was swept into the trees by his new jaguar friend, and he giggled as he flopped around on the hammock.

Eventually, he was brought back down to his family who was waiting below, who all cheered for the boy. Alma was smiling, glad that the candle did as she wanted. It knew that if something went wrong like last time, she wouldn't have taken it lightly. And that even after Mirabel was given a room, after the incident, she was even worse. She threatened to put it out, uncaring of the consequences unless it affected her family.

Mirabel smiled, clapping for the boy. Now everyone had a door! And even if it disappeared, Mirabel knew that her beloved abuela would have taken care of it. Just like she did for her 10 years ago. She knew she could trust her.

"It's a great night, a perfect night!" Alma smiled, kissing her grandson's forehead. "Come on, we must take a picture!"

The family all went to pose, the camera set to flash on a timer that Agustín was in the middle of setting. As they posed, Mirabel stood at the side, still smiling. Her face looked a little sad, but she was still happy. She wasn't upset about not having a gift---after all, that just made her like her abuela. She was always told she would be a leader just like Alma, and she fully believed it. And besides, she had her own room, just like everyone else, and she was no different from the rest of her family.

So no, she wasn't upset about that. It was something else, something deeper than that.

Touching her neck, she fiddled with the small butterfly pendant on her choker. Her tio Felíx had given her the one she was wearing for her quince. Her first one, the one she got when she was five, was getting to be too small. So her tio went out and got her another one. And she loved it.

But she knew she couldn't get in the photo. Her scar would ruin it. It was a reminder of the bad things that could happen, things that happened for stuff she couldn't even control. And she didn't want to ruin Antonio's birthday picture...

"Mirabel? Why are you over there? Come get in the picture," Bruno said, waving her over, slightly confused. Mirabel smiled sadly, shaking her head no.

"What? But how come?" Antonio asked sadly, frowning at the thought of his prima being left out. Mirabel looked down, not saying anything.

"Mirabel? What's the matter?" Julieta asked her daughter, walking over to her. "Why don't you wanna be in the picture?"

Mirabel hesitated but finally raised her hands. They moved slowly, deliberately, as she explained why she didn't want to get in the photo.

'I don't want to ruin the photo with my scar,' she signed, pausing at the last word. The family looked at her with shock and sadness. Antonio was a tad confused, he wasn't quite fluent yet. But when Mirabel gestured to her scar, he seemed to understand. The rest of the family looked at her sadly. Ruin the photo? Why would she think that?

"Mirabel, you would never ruin any photo," Julieta said kissing her daughter. Mirabel signed slowly and mother nodded. "Yes. Now come on, let's take the photo, ok?"

Mirabel was still hesitant, but she nodded, following her mother. She took her place next to Luisa, who smiled down at her. Mirabel looked at the rest of her family, then at the camera.

"La Familia Madrigal!" The family shouted, the camera flashing. And Mirabel was smiling the brightest.