Chapter 14: Part One

First Day of the First Month in the 99th Year Renę

Yieun wiped her nose with a rough cotton handkerchief. Her nose burned, she imagined it turned red like the bunny's one. She had just seen it in her younger sister's chambers. Gently kicking away the snow overflowing into the stone path, she followed her brother to go back to their mother's quarters. She hadn't attended breakfast due to her sickness.

The door creaked open when Jian applied his body weight onto it. The rust at the hinges had made it hard to use, especially in winter. Inside, the soft glow of animal fat candles illuminated their mother's worn face. Her sparkling almond eyes told the tale of better days, but blue under eyes and ghostly white face betrayed her physical illness. She had tried to hide it, rubbing red rouge into her cheeks to colour them, but to no avail. She only hoped she would last long enough to see her children grow up.

A cough rattled through her, and she tried her best to muffle into her handkerchief. "Mother!" Jian rushed to support her as her body trembled violently. He was old enough to understand that his mother was sick, quarantined to waste away the rest of her days in these uninsulated wooden walls. His five-year old sister looked on in confusion. Her mother had always put up an appearance of good health for her.

"Mama?" She hesitantly called out.

"Yes dear, Mama is alright. Come, tell me what you did to celebrate the New Year?"

***

Seventh Day of the Seventh Month in the 114th Year Renę

A morning tear threatened to spill out of Yieun's eyes. It had been a long time since she had dreamt of her mother. She had passed away when Yieun was just ten, leaving behind her last words of advice. She had been an orphan, but had managed to become the Prime Minister's concubine. Many looked down on her, and her children, but Yieun wondered how much more she could have achieved had she not fallen ill after childbirth. She could have found her a better match and found her brother a better political position. He wouldn't have to wag his tail for their father.

"Know what you want, and do anything to seize it." Yieun had done her best to live by those words. She had wanted some control over her own life, to not just be another object. She had tried to build power and wealth before, rebelling against her family, and failing to do so, she got as far away as she could. But that wasn't enough.

There would be political challenges, not to mention squabbles with the inevitable gaggle of concubines her husband would have. She had to prepare for this. She needed to have his trust, if not his affection. 

author's note:

I'm trying to write shorter chapters to stay more consistent. do you prefer two ~500 word chapters a week or one 1000 word chapter? anyway, if you like the story please vote and comment    :-D