Chapter 3

Sixteenth Day of the Fourth Month in the 114th Year Renę

Another day, another morning Yieun awoke after breakfast. She had already sent her message to her followers, so now it was time to tackle the other issues. But she couldn't do it alone, despite having spent the evening and better part of the night devising plans to that end. Today she would have to face up to her brother and ask for his help, which knowing her request, he'd be unlikely to extend.

Sighing, she called in Cailin and asked her to get her brother before he headed to work in the Bureau of City Guards. THen she washed her face and put on robes to appear more decent. No sooner had she finished, she began to hear footsteps approach her chambers.

"I thought you didn't want me to interfere?" Opening the door, Jian didn't bother greeting his sister.

"I did. Unfortunately, I can't leave the house, so I need your help."

"With what?"

"You know what mother always used to say?"

"Better than you. Why?"

"Just remember them. I need you to find me a girl from a brothel. Preferably a high end one, with some experience, who wants to stop being a whore. Here, use this banknote."

Jian stared at his sister's face. His eyebrows ever so slightly drawn closer as his mouth stayed slightly parted.

"I can't believe you." Jian turned and left, his steps faster than when he came in.

Well, Yieun wondered, was that a yes or not?

****

Jian entered his office with an expression so bad, his subordinates doubled down their efforts in looking busy and didn't dare to approach him for a while.

By lunchtime however, he had visibly calmed down and his subordinates could once again approach him on instructions for the security detail of the upcoming festival and how the criminals awaiting sentences should be dealt with. As a captain, he was in-charge of a segment of the city as well as part of the committee that was in charge of the jail. His area was the outer palace, where most of the governmental work happened. His competence could be observed from how he occupied the most important position among the captains. Despite being the son of the deputy chancellor, he had to take part in the imperial examinations and work his way up, to prove his usefulness to his father. Now that he was here however, he had to obey the despicable man like a dog, else be threatened with the last person he cherished. Now even his sister was making demands of him. Sigh. He would end up listening to her wouldn't he? Despite her rash, dangerous and probably painful choices, he was in no position to stop her, so he might as well give her a shot at succeeding in whatever it was she was trying to do. Perhaps she'd still talk to and rely on him this way.

But first, he had to go to the bank. He hadn't taken his sister's money, so he needed to go get his own banknotes that the brothel managers would accept. His secret earnings should be enough.

Jian then made his way to the red light district once the night fell. Having arrested numerous ruffians on these streets, he was familiar with not only every nook and cranny, but every brothel manager and their girls as well.

As he walked past Golden Rose, the largest courtesan house on his way, a figure dressed in orange ran into him, halting him in his steps.

"Jian."

"Ah, Shewie?"

"How come I haven't seen you for a month? Did you forget about me?" Shewie's face was illuminated halfway with the soft glow of the lamps hanging from the outside of the courtesan house. Saying this, she wrapped her arms around one of Jian's and pulled him closer, almost into her.