Chapter 56 - The abused and the abuser

Start from the beginning

Lines tightened across my forehead as I struggled to unravel the meaning behind his cryptic words. After a fleeting second or two, comprehension dawned, and my eyes widened in horrified realization, "What are you going to do?" I whispered, the words escaping my lips like fragile petals carried away by a chilling breeze.

"It's already done," He said, his smile morphing into something sinister, casting shadows of spitefulness across his face. It hung there, a wicked crescent that painted the air with darkness too potent to ignore.

My hand shot up to my mouth, a gasp caught between the fingers as the horrifying truth settled in, its weight sinking into the very core of my being. My mind raced, desperately trying to weave through the threads of reality, each strand unraveling a new layer of the nightmare playing out before me. I could almost picture the storm that would consume Nikolas next.

His mother... she was the only beacon of affection he'd known as a child. In the fabric of his troubled past, she stood as the sole source of warmth and tenderness. He clung to those moments, holding onto them with a tenacity that spoke of the fragility of the only good memories he had. He needed her, not just as a child needing his mother, but as someone desperately clinging to her presence to keep himself from shattering into irreparable pieces.

But now...he lost her.

Tears welled up, blurring my vision as the back of my knees hit the mattress. I felt the world around me unraveling, a sense of helplessness settling in at the mere thought of what he must be feeling in this moment of profound loss.

Oh, Nikolas...

"This is only step number one," Isaac's voice came from somewhere so near but I didn't dare to face him yet, "And you, you will help me in the upcoming ones, and don't think you have a choice, Natalie," he added, the threat in his voice so oppressive, as if poised to snatch away anything good left in my world, "You do one thing wrong and your father dies, you don't listen to me, then Ronald gets hurt too..."

His words enveloped me, and with each passing moment, the weight of helplessness bore down on me, "But if you do listen to me, I will give you something you never thought was possible."

My angry teary gaze shot up to him, "What could you possibly give me!" I snapped, my voice loud, angry, enraged. God, I wanted him dead, bleeding, suffering. No one this evil should walk the earth...

The smile that pulled at his lips next was soft, genuine, and unnerving, "A little precious boy, one who asks me about his brother and sister all the time," He said, his words making no sense at all, "Who would be so happy to meet you too."

Confusion emanated from me in waves, "What do you—"

Before I could voice the question, he provided the answer, shattering my whole world into irreparable fragments again, "Nathan," he said, and I sucked in a deep, suffocating breath, "Your little brother."

┗━•❃°•°❀°•°❃•━┛
END OF FLASHBACK

A low gasp parted my lips, a chilling echo of the pain reverberating through my body, as I felt myself being shaken back to the unforgiving reality. The sterile scent of antiseptic clung to the air, mingling with the residual echoes of my nightmare, wrapping me in a surreal fusion of the past and present.

The hospital bed beneath me cradled my weakened form, and as my eyes fluttered open, the harsh fluorescent light pierced through the shadows of my consciousness. My injured leg throbbed with a dull ache, the sensation mirroring much deeper wounds etched into my soul.