Chapter 30 - Rebirth

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains some torture scenes, and a discussion of some sensitive matters.

*****************

"When you close your eyes
What do you see? Do you hold the light? Or is darkness underneath?"

*****************

Cara's POV

I think he is dead.

I mean, he hasn't moved a muscle for the past - I don't know how many hours - since Isaac delivered that last shock and left him, a limp body over the chair. His head hung low all this time and I couldn't notice the slightest twitch in his tied-up hands.

I really think he is dead, which isn't a bad thing at all but I am starting to believe he's my only ticket out of here, and I really need to use this ticket. His father proved to be something else entirely. I no longer wonder why Nikolas is the way he is, not when he originates from such a rotten source.

So, the faster I am out of here, the better. They can solve these messed-up family issues on their own time and away from me. I am sick of being brought into the middle of this, over and over again.

My gaze fell on the untouched tray of food his men placed beside me around an hour ago. I resisted the urge to scoff, Isaac is being such a generous host. One minute, he mercilessly knocks his son down, and the other he offers me food. He really gives insanity a whole other definition.

A low sigh parted my lips as my eyes drifted to Nikolas again. This time, with determination, I got up to my feet and moved forward, one step at a time and ever so carefully. My eyes assessed his state, focused on his chest, checking if he is breathing or not. I paused by the chair and slightly leaned down, leveling myself with him. I inched my hand forward but pulled it back immediately. My jaw ticked, I am gonna have to touch him after all, aren't I?

I pulled into a deep breath and with my forefinger, I poked his shoulder. I waited...but nothing happened. My eyebrows pulled closer and I poked his shoulder again, harsher this time. Nothing still. I stood straight and huffed out, mumbling under my breath, "You really chose the wrong time to die, didn't you."

Leaning down again, my fingers went to his neck, checking his pulse just to make sure. My jaw tightened at the contact but at least, I found his pulse, beating and all. I rolled my eyes, great, he is alive still. I looked around me, searching for a way to get him to wake up, and at the moment, only one idea clicked. It felt like the only choice I had, right?

I placed my fingers under his chin, slowly lifting his head and pushing it up. His unconscious state made it so easy to move him around and the back of his head pressed up against the chair's top rail. I looked at his face for a second, his eyes closed, you'd think he is peacefully sleeping but no, I saw how intense that lost shock was. I internally winced, I bet it didn't feel good at all.

Sweat beaded up over his forehead and I could see the blood on the corner of his mouth drying out. Gulping down, I finally made up my mind, I have to get him to wake up and there is no other way but this. You can just splash the water they brought you on his face, you know that, right? The logical part of my brain argued and I silenced it down.

Shush, brain, this is my only way. I am doing it for his sake only.

Swallowing hard, I brought my hand up, nodding at my decision, believing it's the only way, and making up my mind as I slapped him. Hard. Probably harder than I've slapped anyone before, and I've slapped my fair share of people throughout the years.