Chapter 49 - This is our normal

Natalie's POV

As I held Nikolas so close, I couldn't help the way my heart shattered into fragments. His head rested over my lap and I soothingly ran my fingers through the soft strands of his dark hair. Even when passed out, he still looked so distraught and tormented. Stressful lines have etched themselves over his forehead, in between his eyebrows, and at the corner of his mouth, reflecting an inner struggle; of how his spirit got dulled by anguish's touch, and how this cruel world had left him broken and wounded so many times.

Sometimes, I feel that no matter what I'll do or how hard I'll try, I will never be able to fully help him get through this messiness. Sometimes, I get this negative thought that maybe...maybe he is beyond fixation, but I dismiss it right away because I should be the person who thinks everyone could overcome everything...

I sniffled and brought my other hand to my face, wiping away the tears that managed to escape through. It's been more than an hour since Alex knocked him down, and I've done nothing but sit here and watch over him, unable to do or even think before he wakes up and I get the chance to check up on him.

After our little encounter in the bedroom, I didn't see Alex again. He was somewhere around the house, waiting for Nik to wake up as well, but he made sure we don't come face to face again after the words we exchanged. To be honest, I'd rather not see him either...

Using one hand to run it through his hair, I rested my other one over his arm, watching the way his fingers twitched slightly every now and then. A low heavy breath left my lungs and I couldn't fathom what kind of dreams he must be having now after all that happened. I brought my hand closer and I rested it over his palm. Then I wrapped my fingers around his hand, tightening my grip and trying to reach for him and pull him back to me somehow. It took him a second or two before he wrapped his fingers around mine, holding my hand even in his deep sleep.

A small somber smile pulled at my lips and I leaned down, pressing a soft kiss over his temple, "I am right here," I whispered to him, hoping for all of his nightmares to vanish once and for all.

After half an hour or so, I felt him stir slightly. His head moved and all of my attention was on him only as he tried to blink and kick himself awake. I gently ran my hand over his hair, "Nik," I whispered, still not sure of which state of mind he will wake up with.

He brought his hand to his face, rushing it over his eyes as he pulled his body up, moving his head away from my lap. He rubbed his fingers over his temples, wincing slightly at an apparent headache. I swallowed hard, my eyes on him as I edged closer. The side of my arm bumped with his and his eyelids glided open. He lifted them up to look at me, confusion flickered all over his gaze as he tried to gather his thoughts, "What hap-" He started to say before the events of today came rushing back with a bang.

I carefully rested my hand over his cheek, my fingers gently rubbing at the area under his eyes, "Hey, how are you feeling now?"

Bewilderment at every memory flashed right through his eyes and they flickered from my face down to my neck, focusing over the very clear red marks his tight grip from before had left. A storm of pain and despair wreaked havoc within those tortured green eyes, a reflection of heartache too heavy for anyone to bear. He instantly backed away from my touch and my hand fell down as he hurriedly got up to his feet, purposely moving away from me.

"Nik...Nikolas, wait," I said, getting up to my feet as well and I followed him as he headed out of the room, going toward an unknown destination, just to run away from me.

He halted to a sudden stop when he reached the hallway, and that's when I noticed Alex, who was standing on the other end, across from him. I moved closer, wanting to reach for him, but, "Natalie, stay back," Alex said, raising his hand up in defense, his eyes on Nik, assessing his state wholly, not sure of what he could do next.