Adrian (Part 1)

ADRIAN
17 Years Later/Present Day

Joseph staggered as the cargo ship lurched violently to one side. Over six months aboard the Fortuna and he still hadn't found his sea legs. At this point, he doubted that he'd ever get used to the constant teetering from one side to the next, and with how the swells kept crashing into the ship's hull, he wondered if the Fortuna would even make it to port in Unda Blanc, Florida.

"Davis!" a gruff voice shouted from above, and Joseph's head jerked up, meeting the grizzled, storm-worn face of Captain Nick Raden. "Need you up here! Now!"

It was an open secret among the crew that Joseph Davis struggled to keep his bearings in storms. For Cap' Raden to call him up anyway suggested only the worst. Joseph climbed the narrow metal ladder two steps at a time until he reached the deck. A sheet of rain pelted him before he could even properly face his captain. And another torrent drowned out his question and left him with a mouthful of water.

"Help Martin secure the cargo!" Raden yelled above the howling wind and rain.

Joseph gave a quick salute and awkwardly made his way to the pile of shipping containers stacked on the left side of the deck. Another wave slammed into the hull, and Joseph floundered off balance until his hand snagged one of the ship's metal railings.

Thirty agonizing seconds later, he caught up to Martin on the starboard side and deftly began helping fasten the twist-locks and checking the lashing bars and turnbuckles. If they made it out of this freak storm alive, they'd need the cargo (and the payday) to show for it.

Saltwater surged around his ankles as a wave folded over the ship like a child's splash over a floaty in the bathtub. Joseph didn't appreciate the comparison his mind conjured. Toy ships always sunk eventually.

Snap!

"Look out!"

The top shipping container wrestled free of its bindings and teetered dangerously on its side. If it didn't fall on to the crew members below, it would be lost to the ocean. Thunder roared overhead, and the giant metal crate leaned too far deck-side. Joseph helplessly covered his face with his hands as it fell towards him. As he closed his eyes, Joseph hoped his death would at least be a quick one.

He didn't expect someone to body-slam him out of the way just as the unit slammed onto the deck. Joseph blinked his eyes open, coming nose to nose with a stranger--a kid who looked more like he should be enjoying summer break on a sunny beach, not aboard a cargo ship, as he stood there in nothing but a pair of black boardshorts.

Soaking black hair hung over the kid's eyes, but not even the wall of rain could hide his grin. He stood and held out a hand to Joseph, who took it and allowed the stranger to pull him up. As he struggled to find his footing, the young sailor noticed the kid stood calmly balanced, naturally shifting his weight with the ship's rocking.

The kid shouted something vaguely like a "You okay?"

Joseph nodded. "Who are you?" he yelled back, "How did you even get here?"

The stranger brushed his bangs out of his eyes and laughed in sync with the thunder. "No one! Mother sent me!" Then the boy's humor fell. "I'm sorry in advance."

Joseph didn't get the chance to reply as the kid turned away from him and leaped, easily clearing the fallen container's height and landing on top of it. The shaken sailor stumbled after him. Considering the familiar shouting of a frazzled captain, he guessed he wasn't the only one to see a teenager mysteriously appear onboard.

He slipped and slid after the teen across the deck until he reached the port side stack of shipping containers--the ones Cap' Raden never let him secure. A gunshot rang out, and most of the crew instinctively ducked, but the teen casually continued his pace. Joseph scanned the faces of his crew and found the captain with a handgun in his still extended grip.