Nightingale (Part 2)

"Good evening, Valin! I'm your host Joey Handler, and welcome to tonight's very special episode of Entertainment!"

   Gabriella rolled her eyes at the odd looking talk show host smiling at them through their shoddy TV set. But she could barely hide her snicker at this year's latest hairstyle.

It had become Joey's trademark to change his style every year, but this one she would never forget. Even the static of the screen couldn't hide the man's outlandish white and blue striped hair. Combined with his stark white suit and light blue bow tie, she was instantly reminded of a human-sized snowman.

   "He looks funny," Eden, her eight year old baby sister, giggled as she scooted closer. Gabriella readjusted herself on the old recliner to make room and spread her blanket out far enough to cover both of them.

    "That's because he wanted to be a snow-cone when he grew up," she whispered.

   "Shh!!" twelve year old Maggie chided from her place beside their mother on the couch. Eden raised a finger to her lips and shushed her right back.

    "Girls," their mom warned and turned her gaze back to the TV, prompting them to do the same.

Tonight's broadcast was supposed to be a big deal, and Gabriella would have felt more excited if she wasn't distracted by finding out what Mark's little surprise will be.

Her heart honestly fluttered at all of the possibilities, and that did not happen often.

   "Now, I know that there is only one reason you have all tuned in tonight," Joey continued, snapping her out of her thoughts, "So without further ado, citizens of Valin, please welcome your new Prince Charming Rafe Garner!"

The thunderous applause from the Entertainment's live audience caused their TV to crackle, and Mrs. Rose turned down the volume slightly as the kingdom's most eligible bachelor floated across the stage and into the camera's view. Gabriella's eyes widened as she locked on to the young man.

      "Well, they certainly picked a good one this year," her mom commented idly, and the blond couldn't help but agree. Not even the static of the TV could hide the fact that this year's Prince Charming was, in a word, attractive.

*^*^*^*^

Rafe smiled and waved at the live audience cheering as he strode across the stage. It took every ounce of practiced effort for him to maintain the confident, easy swagger he so "effortlessly" portrayed. He couldn't afford to slip up now, not when he was so close.

Joey waved him over to the empty, cushioned chair to his right, creating a false air of normalcy and comfort. Rafe obliged, leaning back in the soft red chair and crossed one leg over the other. His host, on the other hand, leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees.

"So, now, Mr. Garner—"

"Please, call me, Rafe," he interrupted with an easy smile. Joey's eyes lit with an almost predatory gleam.

"Rafe," he corrected, "how does it feel to Valin's favorite bachelor?"

     "Good," he replied with a small smile and an emphatic nod, "Very good, actually."

    Joey laughed, "I'm sure. Now then, I'll bet you can guess what we're all just dying to know."

    "I have a pretty good idea."

"Have you thought about what region you will be selecting your new bride from?"

Rafe leaned further back into his seat, propping an elbow on the cushioned armrest in a thinking pose.

"You remember that my father was a Prince Charming, right?"

"Of course! And it's become quite clear how you've followed in his footsteps."

"And I intend to follow him just one more time. My mother was a strong woman from the Appalachian Region, and that's where I'd like to find my future wife."

*^*^*^*^*^*

    Gabriella's eyes widened and her mouth parted in a gasp. She quickly met her mother's gaze and saw the excited smirk she was wearing.

    They lived in the Appalachian Region.

Prince Charming was coming here.